FX has ordered new drama, Y, to series. Based on the post-apocalyptic DC comic book sci-fi series, Y: The Last Man, the new show is expected to premiere in 2020.
- Deadline is reporting that the FX network has ordered new drama, Y to series.
- Nick Grad and Eric Schrier, Presidents of Original Programing at FX announced the series order today at the Television Critics Association.
- The show will be based on the DC comic book series, Y: The Last Man, a post-apocalyptic sci-fi tale.
- Y will feature an ensemble cast and will reportedly star:
- Diane Lane (Man of Steel)
- Barry Keoghan (The Killing of a Sacred Deer)
- Imogen Poots (Roadies)
- Lashana Lynch (Captain Marvel)
- Juliana Canfield (Succession)
- Marin Ireland (Sneaky Pete)
- Amber Tamblyn (The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants).
- The series, from FX Productions, is slated to premiere in 2020.
- “In the series, all of the men are dead. But one. Y traverses a post-apocalyptic world in which a cataclysmic event has decimated every male save for one lone human. The new world order of women will explore gender, race, class and survival.”
- Y is co-created, written and executive produced by Michael Green (American Gods, Blade Runner 2049) and Aïda Mashaka Croal (Luke Cage, Turn). The duo will also serve co-showrunners.
- Y is based on the comic series, Y: The Last Man by Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra.
- Nina Jacobson and Brad Simpson of Color Force (American Crime Story, Pose, Crazy Rich Asians) and Brian K. Vaughan executive produce and developed the series.
- Melina Matsoukas (Insecure, Master of None) directs the pilot episode and also serves as executive producer.
What they’re saying:
- Nick Grad President of Original Programming, FX Networks and FX Productions: “Y: The Last Man is a towering achievement among graphic novel storytelling and it’s been rewarding to work with this outstanding team. Michael Green and Aïda Mashaka Croal have partnered with Nina Jacobson and Brad Simpson to deliver a stunning new expression of this fascinating and timely story. Melina Matsoukas, who directed the pilot, did an incredible job bringing it to life with Diane Lane and this stellar cast.”
- Michael Green and Aïda Mashaka Croal co-creators of Y: “Brian and Pia’s exploration of a world without men is a favorite for its depth, its humor, its insights and its monkey. Adapted today it offers us a cracked mirror to look at our own very cracked world. We thank them for their trust — we thank FX for their support — and we thank the casting gods for letting us work with this incredible group of actors.”
- Nina Jacobson and Brad Simpson: “Y is our favorite comic book series ever and we are thrilled to FINALLY bring it to the screen. We are grateful that Brian entrusted it to us and FX, and can’t wait for the world to see Michael and Aïda’s adaptation.”