Hulu and Lionsgate have announced that documentary, Unbanned: The Legend of AJ1 will be available to stream on February 14. The film chronicles the start of the sneaker craze and its impact on art, culture, fashion and more.
- Hulu and Lionsgate have announced that Unbanned: The Legend of AJ1, is set to make its exclusive streaming debut on Hulu on February 14.
- The film is a powerful and inspiring true story of how Air Jordan 1 (AJ1) transcended sport to become a global phenomenon and comes from first time filmmaker Dexton Deboree.
- This documentary interviews culture-defining titans, including:
- Michael Jordan
- Quincy Jones
- Spike Lee
- Lena Waithe
- Carmelo Anthony
- Chuck D
- Phil Knight
- The film explores how AJ1 was not just a sneaker, but a worldwide movement that broke through barriers of race, age, and gender to define the culture in which we now live.
- Through a riveting journey of powerful voices that also include Black-ish creator Kenya Barris, actor Anthony Anderson, DJ and record producer DJ Khaled across all aspects of culture from then and now, the film chronicles the shoe’s explosive impact on history and our modern world.
- Unbanned: The Legend of AJ1 is produced by Dexton Deboree and Stef Fink.
What they’re saying:
- Heather Moosnick, Senior Vice President Content Partnerships, Hulu: “Sneaker fans all over the world remember the thrill of getting their first pair of Air Jordans, and this film explores the story behind and incredible impact of that iconic shoe. At Hulu, we’re focused on bringing highly compelling films and series to our viewers that reflect the culture and inspire conversation – and Unbanned: The Legend of AJ1 is exactly that.”
- Jared Goetz, Lionsgate President of North American Television Distribution: “We were thrilled to get behind Dexton’s captivating film exploring the cultural phenomenon of the AJ1. With Hulu’s longstanding commitment to premium quality content, we’ve found the perfect partner to launch this film.”
- Writer/director Dexton Deboree: “I’m excited for the world to witness a story that breaks some rules and explores some new ground in expressing a tale as remarkable as any great fable we’ve heard or seen before. This film unearths a very powerful story that is beneath a cultural icon to share something that transcends sport, sneakers, and the popular zeitgeist of much of what happened not only with AJ1 and even Michael Jordan himself, but the radical cultural revolution that unfolded in its wake.”