Production has begun on Freeform’s new series, Unrelated. The show and cast were announced last month, with the series at that time using the working title Besties.
- Freeform has begun production on its highly anticipated upcoming comedy series Unrelated (fka Besties).
- Actor and director Michael McDonald (MADtv, Brooklyn Nine Nine) is set to direct the first episode.
- Unrelated is set in Los Angeles, and will follow ambitious Becca and her newly discovered half-sister Jesi, as they’re thrown into each other’s lives by an online genetics test and have to figure out how to go from strangers to sisters.
- The series was created by Ranada Shepard, Casey Johnson and David Windsor and executive produced by Kenya Barris.
The series stars:
- Jordin Sparks as Becca; an ambitious overachiever from a hard-working, conservative African-American family, who learns that her birth mother is actually white.
- Gigi Zumbado as Jesi; a free-spirited 23-year-old Cuban American, raised by two adoring gay dads, who is more than thrilled to find out she has a half-sister.
- Matt Shively as Matt, a former athlete and current bar manager, who can’t completely let go of his glory days.
- Brooks Brantly as Becca’s brother Todd, a mama’s boy who still lives in their parent’s basement.
- Jessika Van as Luna; Becca’s (Jordin Sparks) roommate and a brilliant med student who is number one in her class, but has no intention of being a doctor.
- Davi Santos as Simon; the assistant to a high-powered agent, who is constantly at odds with Jesi.
- During the Television Critics Association winter press tour, Freefrom made big announcements about the network’s most popular shows. Key reveals include:
- Good Trouble has been picked up for a second season
- grown-ish has been picked up for a third season
- Season two of Cloak & Dagger premiers April 4
- Season three of The Bold Type premieres April 9
- Cast photo revealed for the Party of Five reboot