Today, during the Hulu ‘19 Presentation at The Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden, the streaming service made several announcements about the service and future programming.
Hulu Audience Growth:
- Hulu announced that it has increased its total customer base to more than 28 million — 26.8 million monthly paid subscribers, and 1.3 million promotional accounts.
- “In today’s direct-to-consumer world, viewers are demanding better when it comes to TV — from the user experience to their content choices to the advertising,” said Hulu CEO Randy Freer. “Hulu’s continued growth, as well as the shows and initiatives announced today, reflect our deep investment in product, programming, brand, customer experience and business strategy to ensure that with Hulu, consumers can connect with the stories they love, at the right time and price, on any device.”
- In January, Hulu announced it had reached the 25 million subscriber threshold
Live Action Marvel Series
- Hulu announced Marvel’s Ghostrider and Helstrom will debut in 2020
- Ghost Rider stars Gabriel Luna who portrayed the character on ABC’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- Helstrom is about Daimon and Ana Helstrom who are the son and daughter of a mysterious and powerful serial killer. The siblings have a complicated dynamic as they track down the terrorizing worst of humanity — each with their attitude and skills.
- These series join Marvel’s Runaways and the upcoming animated series Marvel’s M.O.D.O.K, Marvel’s Hit-Monkey, Marvel’s Tigra & Dazzler Show and Marvel’s Howard The Duck.
Partnership with Chrissy Teigen on Food-Centric Programming
- In a new, multi-year, multi-show partnership, Hulu will partner with Vox Media Studios, David Chang’s Majordomo Media, and Chrissy Teigen’s Suit & Thai Productions to develop and produce a slate of premium food-centric programming for the platform.
- As the founder and chef of the Momofuku restaurant group, Chang brings a profound understanding of global food culture, while Vox Media Studios lends its world-class storytelling capabilities and a wealth of experience built through its food and travel network, Eater.
- New York Times bestselling cookbook author Teigen will co-produce and headline a diverse cast of compelling and knowledgeable personalities—from household names and celebrated chefs to everyday home cooks—who will entertain and provoke viewers with a variety of inventive new shows.
- Among the first projects being produced by this new partnership is a cooking show featuring Chang and Teigen.
- Tentatively titled Family Style, the show will revolve around the ways in which people express their love for friends and family by cooking and eating together.
- Also in the pipeline is a documentary series tentatively titled Eater’s Guide To The World, which taps into Eater’s extensive knowledge of the most interesting and delicious restaurants on the planet.
Hulu Orders Nine Perfect Strangers
- David E. Kelley and John Henry Butterworth to Co-Showrun and Co-Write Emmy and Golden Globe Award-winning actress and producer Nicole Kidman and Emm Award-winning producer Bruna Papandrea will adapt the latest book by New York Times best-selling author Liane Moriarty, Nine Perfect Strangers
- Nine Perfect Strangers was an instant hit that spent 13 weeks on The New York Times Best Seller list.
- The series takes place at a boutique health-and-wellness resort that promises healing and transformation as nine stressed city dwellers try to get on a path to a better way of living.
- Watching over them during this ten-day retreat is the resort’s director Masha (played by Kidman), a woman on a mission to reinvigorate their tired minds and bodies.
- However, these nine “perfect” strangers have no idea what is about to hit them.
Hulu Greenlights Limited Series The Dropout
- Hulu confirmed an order for The Dropout, a limited series executive produced and starring Kate McKinnon, inspired by the ABC News podcast on the rise and fall of Elizabeth Holmes and her company, Theranos.
- The series will explore what caused the world’s youngest self-made female billionaire, once heralded as “the next Steve Jobs,” to lose everything in the blink of an eye.
- Along with McKinnon, executive producers on the limited series include the producing team behind the ABC News podcast, host and Chief Business, Technology and Economics Correspondent for ABC News Rebecca Jarvis, Taylor Dunn and Victoria Thompson.
- The series comes to Hulu from Fox Searchlight Television and is the studio’s first project since announcing the creation of the television division in April 2018.
Hulu Renews Pen15 and Ramy
- Hulu has ordered second seasons of Pen15, Ramy and previously announced, Shrill.
- All three new series broke through by generating passionate fan bases and critical reception; each series currently rank in the Top 25 TV Shows of 2019 on Metacritic.
- After debuting to rave reviews, Maya Erskine and Anna Konkle return to star in a 14-episode, second season of adult comedy, Pen15.
- Hulu’s critically-acclaimed comedy series Ramy has been picked up for a 10-episode second season. The groundbreaking series follows first-generation, Egyptian-American Ramy Hassan who is on a spiritual journey in his politically-divided New Jersey neighborhood.
New Trailer for The Handmaid’s Tale: Season 3
- A new trailer for the 3rd season of The Handmaid’s Tale was released by Hulu
- Hulu’s most successful original series will return June 5
Veronica Mars Season 4 Teaser
- Hulu debuted a teaser for the fourth season of Veronica Mars, the first season to debut on the streaming service
- It is set to debut on July 26
- Solar Opposites, which follows a family of aliens who leave their planet and settle in suburban America is coming soon to the service
- Crossing Swords, an animated series starring Nicholas Hoult, will debut in 2020
- Our Looking for Alaska limited series is in production
- Comedy Dollface with Kat Dennings is coming soon
- The Four Weddings and a Funeral series will debut on July 31
- The Great, starring Elle Fanning, is a genre-bending, anti-historical ride through 18th Century Russia following the wildly comic rise of Catherine the Nothing to Catherine the Great and is coming soon
- Reprisal, starring Abigail Spencer, Rodrigo Santoro, and Mena Massoud, is a hyper-kinetic revenge tale following a relentless femme fatale who, after being left for dead, leads a vengeful campaign against a bombastic gang of gearheads
- High Fidelity, which had been in development for Disney+, will star Zoe Kravitz. The show will take viewers into the life of an obsessed record store owner searching for the perfect romance and the perfect top-five playlist.