Fans of ABC’s hit comedy Black-ish got a double dose of good news this morning as it was not announced that the show was headed for a sixth season but it was also revealed that a new spin-off about Rainbow has been ordered as well.
ABC debuted a trailer for Mixed-ish during their 2019 Upfront presentation:
- First off all, ABC has officially renewed Black-ish for a sixth season.
- On top of that, the network announced that it had picked up the spinoff Mixed-ish for a first season.
- Mixed-ish will follow a young Rainbow Johnson in the 1980s.
- As ABC reveals, “Bow’s parents Paul and Alicia decide to move from a hippie commune to the suburbs to better provide for their family. As her parents struggle with the challenges of their new life, Bow and her siblings navigate a mainstream school in which they’re perceived as neither black nor white. This family’s experiences illuminate the challenges of finding one’s own identity when the rest of the world can’t decide where you belong.”
- The show will star Arica Himmel as Bow, Tika Sumpter as Alicia Johnson, Christina Anthony as Denise, Mykal-Michelle Harris as Santamonica Johnson and Ethan Childress as Johan Johnson.
- Because of Mixed-ish’s pick up, the Black-ish episode “Becoming Bow” that was set to air May 7th has now been pushed to next season.
- Of course this isn’t the first spinoff to come from Black-ish as Grown-ish is currently in its second season on Freeform.