Extreme football fans can rejoice, as ESPN and Fox Sports have signed a multi-year agreement with the XFL. The league will return starting with the 2020 season and with games broadcast on ABC, Fox, and ESPN among others.
- The XFL has announced multi-year agreements with ESPN and FOX Sports to televise XFL games starting with its inaugural 2020 season.
- Fans of the extreme football league will be able to enjoy the sport once again when the 2020 season kicks off in February.
- XFL games will air weekly on broadcast TV (ABC and FOX) complemented by games on cable (ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 and FS2).
- The XFL TV schedule allows for consistent appointment viewing each week with back-to-back games starting Saturday afternoons at 2 pm ET as well as two additional games on Sunday afternoons.
- The agreements were negotiated by CAA Sports and Evolution Media Capital (EMC) on behalf of the XFL.
- The XFL will kick off on Saturday, February 8, 2020 with teams in:
- Los Angeles
- New York
- St. Louis
- Tampa Bay
- Washington D.C.
- Additional XFL-themed programming and on-air talent will be announced in the future.
Did you know?:
- The original XFL debuted over a decade ago on NBC, but only aired for one season.
- The XFL was founded by Vince McMahon, who also owns World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE).
What they’re saying:
- Burke Magnus, ESPN Executive Vice President, Programming and Scheduling: “We look forward to showcasing the XFL on ESPN and ABC, including the kickoff game and championship during the league’s inaugural season. Vince McMahon and Oliver Luck are two of the sports industry’s most creative and experienced leaders, and they have exciting plans for this league. We believe in their vision for the XFL, which will be a great addition to our year-round commitment to football.”
- Eric Shanks, FOX Sports CEO & Executive Producer: “We welcome the XFL to the FOX Sports Family and are pleased to expand our relationship with Vince McMahon. Football is in FOX Sports’ DNA and a key component of our programming strategy. Alongside Oliver Luck and his incredible team, we’re excited for the debut of the XFL on FOX Sports.”
- Vince McMahon, XFL Founder & Chairman: “We are thrilled to partner with ESPN and FOX Sports, two innovative media companies with extensive experience in world-class football production that will undoubtedly help us reimagine football. The XFL broadcast schedule provides us with incredible reach and makes it easy for fans to watch our games consistently every weekend.”