A former Cast Member has been accused of stealing Audio-Animatronic costumes and other items from Walt Disney World and reselling them.
- ClickOrlando reports that Patrick Spikes — known to some Twitter and YouTube users as BackDoorDisney — has been arrested and faces charges of burglary, grand theft, and dealing in stolen property.
- Spikes is accused of accessing employee-only areas of the parks, stealing approximately $7,000 worth of items, and selling them.
- The arrest warrant also confirms that Disney reported the theft of the Buzzy Audio-Animatronic from the former Cranium Command attraction sometime after the character’s costume was taken.
READ: Arrest warrant for Patrick Spikes. The former #DisneyWorld employee is accused of stealing $7,000 in props and costumes from the Haunted Mansion ride. #News6 https://t.co/swrsdwXPCt #News6 @BackDoorDisney pic.twitter.com/50C1PVXPIl
— Mike DeForest (@DeForestNews6) May 17, 2019
- In December, a judge signed a search warrant for Spikes’ phone, which contained photos of items reportedly stolen from the Haunted Mansion.
- According to an affidavit, investigators were able to track down the buyer of the Haunted Mansion items who confirmed he purchased them from Spikes.
- The buyer says he was informed the items were obtained with permission from Disney.
- A tweet from the Orange County Sheriff's Department shared Spikes’ mugshot and added, “Special thanks to the tireless efforts of our Sector 6 detectives.”
ARRESTED: Patrick Spikes, 24, sits behind bars and faces charges of burglary, grand theft, and dealing in stolen property. He entered a restricted area of Disney, stole over $7,000 in items and resold them. Special thanks to the tireless efforts of our Sector 6 detectives. pic.twitter.com/ih3SaewzsN
— Orange County Sheriff's Office (@OrangeCoSheriff) May 17, 2019