This November, Fox’s Ford v Ferrari will roll into theatres as the film explores the 1966 Le Mans race in France. Ahead of the fall premiere, Entertainment Weekly is taking audiences behind the scenes for a first look at the thrilling story starring Christian Bale and Matt Damon.
- Entertainment Weekly has just released their exclusive first look at Fox’s upcoming Ford v Ferrari film that’s based on the true story of the 1966 Le Mans race.
- The movie stars Christian Bale and Matt Damon who won’t be playing the titular auto giants, but rather members of the pit crew experiencing the battle first hand.
- EW spoke with the both Bale and Damon as well as director James Mangold. For the full interview visit ew.com.
What they’re saying:
- Christian Bale: “This is David vs. Goliath vs. Goliath. You’ve got the industrial Goliath with Ford and the charismatic Goliath of reputation with Ferrari, and then this true story of the triumph of the misfits.”
- Matt Damon: “As we were making it, we joked that it was the last movie ever. Luckily, we had this great character drama that was inside this other story.”
- James Mangold: “These are real people with love and loss and fears that aren’t handled in three mini-moments between the next 100-decibel, 12-minute action sequence. And it’s an acting tour de force — Matt and Christian have never been better.”
- Christian Bale: “It transcends racing and becomes something that captures the spirit of people who are willing to risk everything for their love.”
- Matt Damon: “To feel those cars come roaring by is why people love racing. It was really exciting to shoot because it didn’t require you to use your imagination, it was all happening around you.”
- James Mangold: “This is much more of a relationship movie and less a historical document.”
- Mangold: One of the main goals with Logan was that I felt the superhero genre had gotten so CGI’d, so I wanted to make it as emotionally and physically real as possible. And that very much carried over into Ford v Ferrari.”
About Ford v Ferrari:
- “The film tells the remarkable true story of the visionary American car designer Carroll Shelby (Damon) and the fearless British driver Ken Miles (Bale), who together battled corporate interference, the laws of physics, and their own personal demons to build a revolutionary race car for Ford Motor Company and take on the dominating race cars of Enzo Ferrari at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in France in 1966.”
Ford v Ferrari cast includes:
- Caitriona Balfe (Outlander)
- Tracy Letts (Lady Bird)
- Josh Lucas (Sweet Home Alabama)
- Jon Bernthal (The Punisher)
- Noah Jupe
- Remo Girone
- Ray McKinnon
Ford v Ferrari speeds into theatres on November 15, 2019.