Marvel Comics first invited us into the Marvel Universe on August 31, 1939 with the release of “Marvel Comics #1.” This year, the comicbook juggernaut will be celebrating its 80th birthday with some commemorative art and some special events at various retailers, in addition to the highly-anticipated release of “Marvel Comics #1000.”
- Marvel will celebrate this milestone birthday on August 31 with an all-new commemorative piece of art by comic book legend Adam Kubert.
- The celebration will also include a week of festivities and events at various retailers and Marvel exhibitions & experiences.
- Comic shops and stores around the country including Disney store, Amazon, Box Lunch and FYE will be hosting Marvel birthday celebrations with new and exclusive merchandise, special offers, giveaways and more.
- Additional details on these events will be revealed in the coming weeks.
- “Marvel Comics #1000” will also be released as part of this celebration.
- The massive, oversized, special edition book will feature the greatest array of luminaries from both classic and current comic books revealing a long-kept secret and some startling discoveries along the way.
- Participating comic shops will be hosting Marvel birthday party events and will have a brand-new edition of the Marvel Universe Magazine available free to customers.
- This magazine will feature exclusive art and behind-the-scenes content for some of Marvel’s top comic releases in the fall, so readers will surely want to pick this up along with “Marvel Comics #1000.”
What they’re saying:
- Dan Buckley, President of Marvel Entertainment: “Going back to Marvel’s inception in 1939, Marvel Comics #1 was the spark that led to the Marvel Universe we know today. As one of the most influential milestones in Marvel history, August 31 is the perfect day to officially honor Marvel’s birthday.”
- C.B. Cebulski, Editor-in-Chief of Marvel: “For myself and almost every other comic book fan around the world, Marvel’s beloved comics and characters have been a part of our lives for as long as we can remember. But it all started with the Human Torch. As we salute Marvel’s 80th anniversary this year, we’re excited to celebrate Marvel’s official birthday!”