Lizzie McGuire, one of Disney’s Channel’s biggest hits, is coming back with a sequel series to Disney+, according to Deadline.
What we know:
- A sequel to the 2001 Disney Channel series, Hilary Duff will return as 30-year old Lizzie McGuire, a millennial getting through life in New York City.
- As in the original series, an animated version of young Lizzie will offer up commentary on what the 30-year old Lizzie is actually thinking.
- Not only is Hilary Duff returning, but the original series’ creator, Terri Minsky, will be returning as well under a new deal she has signed with Disney Channel.
- Duff, in the past, had said in interviews she would be open to a possible Lizzie McGuire reboot or reunion special, but it is unclear at this time if any other original cast members will return for the new series.
- Under a new Disney Channel deal, Terri Minsky is set to create new series and movies for Disney+ and Disney Channel, the new Lizzie McGuire being the first.
- This is the second Disney Channel live-action franchise to get a new series on Disney+, along with High School Musical: The Musical: The Series