With all the Marvel and Star Wars news coming out of D23 Expo 2019, it seems it’s easy to forget the animated roots that the Walt Disney Studios was built upon. Lucky for us Jennifer Lee, Chief Creative Officer of Walt Disney Animation Studios, took the stage and announced Raya and the Last Dragon, a new feature film hitting theaters in the fall of 2020.
What We Know:
- Disney story artists Paul Briggs (Frozen) and Dean Wellins (Zootopia) will be making their directorial debut
- Adele Lim, writer of Crazy Rich Asians, has written the script and says the movie is especially meaningful to her since she grew up loving Disney movies and loved Hong Kong action movies as well, both of which have a significant influence on the making of this film.
- Jennifer Lee, CCO of WDAS, says the film is inspired by the beautiful and diverse cultures of Southeast Asia.
- Canadian actress Cassie Steele (Degrassi: The Next Generation) will be providing the voice of the titular Raya, and Awkwafina (Crazy Rich Asians) will be providing the voice of Sisu the dragon.
- Plot details are scarce but based on the presentation, the film will follow Raya as she tries to find the last dragon to save her fictional homeland, Kumandra
- Raya and the Last Dragon is set to hit theaters Thanksgiving 2020