National Geographic Documentary Films has released a trailer for their upcoming project focusing on an underground hospital in Syria, The Cave.
- The Cave is a powerful new film about a hidden secret underground hospital in Syria and the unprecedented female-led team of civilians and medical professionals who are risking their lives to provide medical care to the besieged local population.
- The film follows 30-year-old Dr. Amani, an aspiring pediatrician forced to end her studies and medical training due to the devastating war in Syria, as she becomes the appointed leader of a team of 130 medical practitioners in the secret hospital serving the 400,000 civilians of the besieged city of Al Ghouta from 2012 to 2018.
- Due to the nonstop onslaught of conventional and chemical warfare, brutalized and displaced victims constantly flood the subterranean haven through secret entrances and an intricate network of tunnels. Despite the limited supply of medical resources, Dr. Amani and her team work tirelessly to restore health and hope.
- Directed by Feras Fayyad, who has directed and edited a number of films, both documentary and fiction; the latest, Last Men in Aleppo (2017) won the award for Best Current Affairs Documentary at the annual News and Documentary Emmy Awards in 2018.
- Fayyad has received international recognition for his work on contemporary Syrian issues and the political transformation of the Arab world.
- The Cave is due to be released later this year.