Directors of Free Solo, Chai Vasarhelyi and Jimmy Chin, have struck a First-Look deal with Nat Geo, according to Deadline.
- National Geographic has struck a first-look deal with the directors of Free Solo, Chai Vasarhelyi and Jimmy Chin and their company, Little Monster Films.
- Per the deal, the pair will develop specials, feature documentaries, and unscripted series for the Disney-owned network. This will be the first time the team will do more than feature documentaries.
- Anna Barnes, former Cinetic Media executive, will serve as Vice President of development and production for the new venture. She will work closely with Chin and Vasarhelyi, indentifying, developing, and producing new projects as well as overseeing the growth of the company.
- No specific details have been released but Nat Geo has commissioned the next feature documentary from the pair to be released by National Geographic Documentary Films.
- The deal comes with the success of Free Solo, which won the most number of Emmys for a documentary and was Nat Geo’s most viewed unscripted special ever.
What They’re Saying:
- National Geographic Global Television Networks President Courteney Monroe: “Chai and Jimmy are extraordinary filmmakers and tremendous partners, and we are thrilled to be expanding our relationship with them. The success of Free Solo surpassed even our wildest expectations, and we cannot wait to embark on this exciting new chapter with the incredibly talented team behind it.”
- Chai Vasarhelyi and Jimmy Chin: “National Geographic offered unconditional support and enthusiasm for Free Solo from day one, and we truly could not have asked for better partners, We are excited to have an outlet to grow our production company’s work in television, expanding the stories we are able to tell, as well as a partner for our next feature doc.”