Following its first run in Seattle, the Mrs. Doubtfire musical production will head to Broadway in spring 2020 according to Deadline.
- Producers for the stage version of Mrs. Doubtfire have announced its headed to Broadway with Rob McClure playing the title character.
- The musical version is based on the 1993 film starring Robin Williams and Sally Field. Jerry Zaks is directing the live production which is slated to start previews on March 9, 2020 and host its opening night on April 5.
- Mrs. Doubtfire will debut at the Stephen Sondheim Theatre in New York City.
- Earlier this year, Disney Theatrical Productions took over Fox Stage Productions where Mrs. Doubtfire and The Devil Wears Prada were being developed as musicals.
- It was also announced that Kevin McCollum was overseeing the production of both shows.
- The Mrs. Doubtfire musical features a book by Karey Kirkpatrick and John O’Farrell and Wayne Kirkpatrick and Karey Kirkpatrick wrote the music and lyrics.
- Prior to her Broadway previews and run Mrs Doubtfire will open at Seattle’s 5th Avenue Theatre from November 26-December 29, 2019.
- “When out-of-work actor Daniel Hillard loses custody of his kids in a divorce, he disguises himself as Scottish nanny Euphegenia Doubtfire in a desperate attempt to stay in their lives. As he gets lost in his new persona and grows closer to his kids, Mrs. Doubtfire teaches Daniel more than he bargained for about how to be a father.”
Mrs. Doubtfire stars:
- In addition to Rob McClure starring as Daniel Hillard (Robin Williams role in the film) the main cast includes:
- Jenn Gambatese (School of Rock) as Miranda Hillard (Sally Field in the movie)
- Brad Oscar as Frank Hillard
- Analise Scarpaci as Lydia Hillard
- Jake Ryan Flynn as Christopher Hillard
- Avery Sell as Natalie Hillard
- J. Harrison Ghee as Andre
- Mark Evans (The Play That Goes Wrong) as Stuart Dunmeyer (Pierce Brosnan role)
- Charity Angél Dawson as Wanda Sellner
- Peter Bartlett as Mr. Jolly
- Further casting will be announced at a later date.
- Deadline points out that the cast of Mrs. Doubtfire will be a mini reunion for actors McClure, Bartlett and Oscar who starred together in Something Rotten!
- Interestingly, that show was produced by McCollum, included the same musical team, and also had its pre-Broadway debut at Seattle’s 5th Avenue Theatre.
What they’re saying:
- Rob McCollum in a statement: “It’s great to be back with Karey, Wayne and John – and working with Jerry has been a dream of mine. They do comedy and family like no one else – and bringing this beloved story to life as a hilarious and touching musical comedy is an irresistible opportunity.”
- Directed by:
- Jerry Zaks
- Choreography by:
- Lorin Latarro
- Scenic design by:
- David Korins
- Costumes by:
- Catherine Zuber
- Music supervision by:
- Ethan Popp
- Lighting design by:
- Philip Rosenberg
- Sound by:
- Brian Ronan
- Hair & wig design by:
- David Brian Brown