Marvel’s Daredevil star Vincent D’Onofrio has signed on to play Jerry Falwell in Fox Searchlight’s The Eyes of Tammy Faye, according to Deadline.
- D’Onofrio is playing Jerry Falwell – an American Southern Baptist pastor, televangelist, and conservative activist – in the film about televangelist Tammy Bakker.
- In addition to D’Onofrio, Gabriel Olds and Mark Wystrach are also joining the cast as Republican presidential candidate Pat Robertson and country singer Gary Paxton respectively.
- The three of them join a cast that already includes:
- Andrew Garfield as Jim Bakker
- Jessica Chastain as Tammy Faye
- Sam Jaeger as Roe Messner
- Chandler Head as Little Tammy Faye
- Cherry Jones as Tammy Faye’s mother Rachel
- Fredric Lehne as Tammy Faye’s step-father Fred
- Chastain is also producing the film alongside Kelly Carmichael under their Freckle Films banner as well as Gigi Pritzker and Rachel Shane of MWM Studios.
- The film is based on Fenton Bailey and Randy Barbato’s 2000 documentary of the same name.
- Abe Sylvia is writing the movie with Michael Showalter directing.Pritzker and Rachel Shane of MWM Studios.
What they’re saying:
- Rachel Shane, CCO MWM Studios: “We were determined to partner with Freckle Films in its adaptation of the documentary film immediately when Jessica presented Gigi and me with the idea. Under the direction of Michael Showalter and a stunning screenplay by Abe Sylvia, we have an award-winning cast in place and look forward to working with Fox Searchlight to bring this incredible story to audiences.”
- Director Michael Showalter: “I am overjoyed to be working with the entire team at Searchlight on this film, and to collaborate with extraordinary actors like Jessica Chastain and Andrew Garfield who will bring so much warmth and intelligence to a pair of compelling and controversial evangelical powerhouses.”
- Matthew Greenfield and David Greenbaum, Presidents of Production for Film and Television, Fox: “We are grateful that Jessica brought us this very special project and thrilled to see her and Andrew Garfield, two of the most extraordinary actors of their generation, completely transform themselves to bring the iconic duo of Tammy Faye and Jim Bakker to life. Together with the brilliant and unique sensibility of Michael Showalter, we have total faith that this entire creative team will work cinematic miracles.”
- Jessica Chastain: “I was deeply moved by Tammy Faye’s story from the moment I saw Fenton and Randy’s documentary, so Kelly and I are thrilled to be partnering with them, Fox Searchlight, Michael Showalter, MWM Studios and the rest of the filmmaking team to bring such an incredible true story to audiences. We are looking forward to sharing Tammy Faye’s story with the world, she was truly a woman ahead of her time.”