A new reality show competition is coming to ABC titled Ultimate Surfer. The new series will feature up and coming surfers as they train to compete against the best athletes in the sport.
- ABC today announced the network pickup of new competition series Ultimate Surfer.
- The eight-episode series will gather some of the world’s greatest up-and-coming surfers to train and live together at the World Surf League’s (WSL) state-of-the-art Surf Ranch in Lemoore, California.
- Powered by Kelly Slater’s man-made wave technology, the contestants will battle it out in the hope of competing amongst the best athletes in the world’s fastest-growing sport.
- Production will begin in 2020 and an airdate will be announced later this season.
- Slater will serve as on-air talent and special correspondent for the show.
- Alliances and rivalries will be front and center in Ultimate Surfer as men and women compete in individual and team challenges focused on specific surfing disciplines.
- Weekly eliminations will leave two men and two women as finalists who will vie for the male and female titles of the Ultimate Surfer and the opportunity to compete on the WSL World Tour, the pinnacle of professional surfing.
- Slater’s remarkable, one-of-a-kind, man-made wave – the most even playing field for measuring surf mastery – is at the heart of the series.
- The series comes out of the multiplatform co-development partnership between Pilgrim Media Group and WSL Studios, announced earlier this year.
- Surfers interested in being a contestant on the show must be 21 or older and can apply at www.UltimateSurferCasting.com, where more details are available.
What they’re saying:
- Rob Mills, senior vice president, Alternative Series, Specials and Late Night, ABC Entertainment: “In addition to being a globally recognized sport, surfing is also a lifestyle; and Ultimate Surfer will give viewers a uniquely personal look at what goes into becoming a world-class champion. We’re ecstatic about the opportunity to utilize Kelly’s world-class surf facility and his expertise in showcasing these incredibly talented on-the-rise athletes.”
- Kelly Slater: “This is an unprecedented opportunity for two surfers (one man, one woman) to win an opportunity to compete against the best surfers in the world on the WSL Tour. This will put some of the best up-and-comers against each other in a more direct way to see who stands above the rest, and Surf Ranch is obviously a great venue to use for Ultimate Surfer I’m excited to watch how they step up to the challenge.”
- Produced by:
- Lionsgate’s Pilgrim Media Group
- WSL Studios
- Executive produced by:
- Pilgrim’s Craig Piligian
- WSL Studios’ Erik Logan
- UFC President Dana White