SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment has shared that they will be permanently laying off some of their furloughed employees both at theme parks and corporate headquarters.
- Local Orlando ABC affiliate WFTV 9 has reported that SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment has notified the Securities and Exchange Commission that they will be permanently laying off some of their furloughed employees.
- The decision was made out of necessity to reduce operating expenses and cash flows while tourism numbers remain low.
- SeaWorld expects to spend around $3 million on severance packages with this round of layoffs.
- The company has not said how many individuals will be affected.
- SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment operates the following theme parks and water parks:
SeaWorld’s Statement to WFTV 9:
“The worldwide COVID-19 pandemic continues to have a significant impact on each of our lives, in ways both small and profound. The same is true for the travel, tourism, entertainment, and hospitality industries, and the operations of SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment, Inc.
While we were able to bring thousands of furloughed Ambassadors back to work and hoped to bring back everyone, the current environment requires us to setup the company for long term success. SeaWorld has determined that it must transition certain park and corporate personnel from a furloughed status to a permanent layoff.
We deeply appreciate the hard work and dedication of our Ambassadors to our company’s shared mission, values, and goals. Over our 60-year history, our parks have inspired millions of guests to love, protect and care for our planet’s animals and their habitats. We are sorry to have to part ways with any team members in this difficult moment, but their abiding commitment to our guests, fellow Ambassadors and animals is recognized and made a lasting impact.”