ESPN Films has announced they are in production on a documentary project about WNBA’s Maya Moore and Jonathan Irons—a man who was wrongfully accused and serving time for a crime he didn’t commit. The documentary will focus on Moore and Irons’ stories and criminal justice reform.
- ESPN Films today announced the group is in production on an upcoming project centered on the recent story about WNBA superstar Maya Moore.
- The untitled documentary project, produced in partnership with Rock’n Robin Productions, will explore Moore’s unwavering faith; her connection with Jonathan Irons, a man wrongfully convicted and serving a prison sentence for burglary and assault; and how she stepped away from basketball to pursue justice both to prove his innocence and inspire activism in others during this watershed moment.
- The announcement comes after the couple’s appearance on Good Morning America this morning where they also announced that they fell in love in the process of working together to get Irons’ sentence overturned and have since married.
- Executive produced by Robin Roberts and directed by Rudy Valdez (Sundance Film Festival winner The Sentence), the project will feature a treasure trove of never-before-seen archive and uncommonly intimate verité, offering a deep look at Moore’s commitment to criminal justice reform and the devoted pursuit of freedom for a man unjustly imprisoned.
- Additional details to be announced.
What They’re Saying:
- Maya Moore: “I am so hopeful that this intimate look at our journey for justice will inspire all to believe that change & justice are possible. The heart of this story is that when we see & value the people suffering around us we can start to become the community we know we were meant to be. I’m more convinced than ever that love & sacrifice will lead us to the win for humanity.”
About ESPN Films
- ESPN Films has been an industry leader in documentary filmmaking since its inception in March 2008, producing more than 100 documentaries that have showcased some of the most compelling stories in sports.
- The high quality of storytelling has led to record viewership as well as multiple honors and critical acclaim.
- Additional projects from ESPN Films over the years have included:
- 30 for 30 Shorts
- Nine for IX
- SEC Storied
- Docu-series The Last Dance
- The entire 30 for 30 library is available for streaming on ESPN+.
About Rock’n Robin Productions:
- Rock’n Robin Productions is a full-service broadcast and digital production company.
- Rock’n Robin Productions produces virtually every type of show including:
- News-driven specials, like Shark Attack: The Paige Winter Story for ABC
- Scripted entertainment such as Stolen By My Mother: The Kamiyah Mobley Story for Lifetime
- Moving sports documentaries like Milton: The Rock’s Rock for ESPN
- Short-form digital series such as Thriver Thursday Seasons 1-3
- Special events including Countdown to the Special Olympics for ESPN
- Robin Roberts serves as the company’s president and is the driving force behind its mission to entertain, enlighten, and inspire.