The Hollywood Reporter has revealed that following Matthew McConaughey’s departure from Redeemer, FX is looking to part ways with Nic Pizzolatto and his first-look deal as they scrap plans for the series.
- Following the success of HBO’s True Detective, FX and Fox 21 made a first-look deal with creator Nic Pizzolatto and made a script-to-series offer for Redeemer.
- The project would’ve reunited Pizzolatto with True Detective star Matthew McConaughey.
- Following Disney’s restructuring of their content creation teams, which merged 20th Television and Touchstone Television, the company is no longer interested in Redeemer with Matthew McConaughey having left the project.
- In addition, the first-look deal that was signed in January 2020 had two years remaining and Disney is reportedly negotiating an exit package to end it early.
- During the Disney Investor Day, multiple FX series were discussed but Redeemer wasn’t among them.
- Redeemer was based on the novel The Churchgoer by Patrick Morgan.