Marvel and Penguin Random House have announced an exclusive distribution rights agreement for Marvel comics and graphic novels.
- Marvel will enter a multi-year agreement with Penguin Random House Publisher Services (PRHPS) for exclusive distribution rights on Marvel comics and graphic novels starting October 1.
- PRHPS will have the exclusive distribution for Marvel’s newly published and backlist comic books, trade collections, and graphic novels to comics shops.
- This will end Marvel’s current deal with Diamond Comic Distributors, Inc., who’ll continue to partner with the company in other areas.
- Direct Market retailers can choose to order Marvel products direct from PRHPS, or alternatively, through Diamond as a wholesaler under terms established by Diamond in the US and the UK. Hachette Book Group will continue to manage distribution of Marvel’s graphic novels and trade collections to the book market.
- All comic book and trade orders for titles on sale in October should be made through PRHPS.
What They’re Saying:
- Dan Buckley, President of Marvel Entertainment: “Marvel’s entire history is built on telling great stories. And as we’ve seen for decades, those stories go hand in hand with equipping the comic shops who share them. Marvel and Penguin Random House stand by that vision, and we are excited to build and expand those opportunities for our talent, retailers, and fans. Comics are the core of the Marvel Universe, and we are confident this new partnership will continue to grow and evolve this resilient industry. We look forward to advancing our capabilities with PRHPS to serve our fans and the Direct Market. We thank Diamond for their many years of support and partnership as we continue our relationship with them in other areas.”
- Jeff Abraham, President of Penguin Random House Publisher Services: “This is an exciting time for comics, and we’re thrilled to partner with Marvel in taking the next steps to support the growth of the marketplace, together with our Direct Market retail partners. Based on the foundation of our relationships with physical retailers, we’re confident in the significant growth of the comic book industry and welcome the opportunity to further collaborate with and invest PRHPS’ resources in the Direct Market. Combining the standard-setting supply chain and sales capabilities of PRH with Marvel’s renowned universe of stories and characters, we expect to reach even more fans of its artists and writers throughout the world.”