Freeform is reportedly developing a Puerto Rico-set Latin trap-focused series titled Trap Queen, according to Deadline.
- Danny Strong, co-creator of the hit series Empire, is on to executive produce the new music rich series with Miguel Nolla writing the script.
- Strong is also currently filming the Hulu original series Dopesick.
- Nolla, an alum of the Disney•ABC Writing Program, will also serve as the showrunner for Trap Queen.
- Nolla’s writing credits include Scandal and Roswell, New Mexico and her previously served as an assistant to Shonda Rhimes.
- In addition to Strong and Nolla, Mandy Safavi of Danny Strong Productions will also executive produce the series, which is coming from 20th Television.
- SB Projects’ Scooter Braun, James Shin and Scott Manson will also serve as executive producers.
About the series:
- “The drama focuses on a gay young man who returns to Puerto Rico after a life changing event. With the burgeoning local music scene as both the backdrop and the soundtrack, that move forces him to face family and romantic issues he thought he had left behind and never expected.”