Global Citizen has announced VAX LIVE: The Concert to Reunite the World, which will air on ABC, CBS, FOX, YouTube and iHeartMedia Global, Inspiring Action for Equitable COVID-19 Vaccine Distribution to Everyone, and will be hosted by Selena Gomez, airing Saturday May 8th.
- International advocacy organization Global Citizen today announced VAX LIVE: The Concert to Reunite the World, a global broadcast and streaming special that aims to inspire vaccine confidence worldwide and help get the COVID-19 vaccines to everyone, everywhere. During the special, Global Citizen will call on philanthropists and corporations to donate enough “dollars-for-doses” to vaccinate more than 27 million heroic health workers that are serving on the global frontlines of the COVID-19 pandemic every day. The special will also encourage global development advocates and changemakers to call on world leaders to prioritize the equitable distribution of COVID-19 vaccines for everyone, everywhere.
- VAX LIVE: The Concert to Reunite the World will be pre-taped at SoFi Stadium in Los Angeles. Airing and live streaming on Saturday, May 8, on ABC, ABC News Live, CBS, YouTube, iHeartMedia broadcast radio stations and the iHeartRadio App, VAX LIVE will start at 8:00 p.m. EDT/7:00 p.m. CDT. The concert will also air on FOX at 11:00 p.m. EDT/PDT. With support from the World Health Organization (WHO), European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen, Prime Minister of Italy and G20 Chair Mario Draghi, and Prime Minister of Spain Pedro Sanchez, President Cyril Ramaphosa of South Africa, Prime Minister of Norway Erna Solberg, Prime Minister of Spain Pedro Sanchez, and the State of California, the special, hosted by multi-platinum recording artist, actress and producer Selena Gomez, will include a night of musical performances by Jennifer Lopez, Eddie Vedder, Foo Fighters, J Balvin and H.E.R.
- As the exclusive global streaming partner, YouTube will stream an extended version of VAX LIVE: The Concert to Reunite the World on the Global Citizen channel for a full run-time of 90 minutes, which will include additional performances and appearances by NCT 127 and YouTube creators Daniel El Travieso, Kati Morton, ShootforLove, Thembe Mahlaba and The Try Guys.
- As part of VAX LIVE, Global Citizen is campaigning to support the Access to COVID-19 Tools (ACT) Accelerator initiative – including COVAX – a vaccine-sharing program co-led by the World Health Organization (WHO), to ensure that low-income countries can access COVID-19 vaccines. VAX LIVE: The Concert to Reunite the World aims to inspire Global Citizens to call on governments, asking them to pledge $22.1 billion, the outstanding balance needed by the ACT-Accelerator to get 2 billion COVID-19 vaccine doses, tests and treatments to the world’s poorest countries by the end of 2021.
- VAX LIVE: The Concert to Reunite the World is part of Global Citizen’s overall 2021 Recovery Plan for the World, a yearlong campaign and series of events that aims to help end COVID-19 for all, end the hunger crisis, resume learning everywhere, protect the planet and advance equity for all.
- To achieve global vaccine access and confidence, VAX LIVE: The Concert to Reunite the World aims to do the following:
- Increase donations of vaccine doses to low-income nations, build vaccine confidence and promote vaccine uptake, helping to ensure access for everyone, everywhere;
- Call on philanthropists and corporations to donate enough “dollars-for-doses” to help vaccinate the more than 27 million heroic health workers that are on the front lines, in the poorest countries that need access to vaccines most;
- Call on governments, corporations and philanthropists to invest an additional $22.1 billion to get 2 billion vaccine doses and other medical tools to the poorest countries;
- Disseminate financial commitments to regional responders supporting health, education, hunger, equity and climate efforts;
- Encourage pharmaceutical companies to commit to selling COVID-19 vaccines at a production price – earning profits at the expense of human lives will impede progress; and
- Build vaccine confidence by educating and empowering audiences to get answers to their top questions about the COVID-19 vaccines.
- Global Citizen today is also launching VAX BECAUSE to drive candid conversations about the COVID-19 pandemic, provide people with ranging perspectives about vaccine confidence, and arm people with facts about personal health and immunization options. With the aim of ensuring that individuals, families and communities can make the right decisions for themselves, the campaign will live on a multimedia HUB, where visitors can both ask questions they have about the vaccine, and find fact-based information about the coronavirus epidemic. Global Citizens are encouraged to ask questions and find answers at http://VaxBecause.org.
- VAX LIVE: The Concert to Reunite the World is hosted by the State of California and supported by the LA County Health Department, the City of Los Angeles, the City of Inglewood, and E. Stanley Kroenke, SoFi Stadium and Hollywood Park Developer, and Los Angeles Rams Owner/Chairman. Additionally, VAX LIVE will highlight the large-scale vaccination site on the grounds of SoFi Stadium. The Hollywood Park vaccination site, which has been designated to serve public and private school teachers, administrators and Los Angeles County staff, leverages technology and data systems to register individuals, schedule vaccination appointments and share the data with appropriate local health authorities. A collaboration between Los Angeles Unified, the Los Angeles Rams and Hollywood Park, the vaccination site serves as another critical step to keep citizens safe and healthy in the fight against COVID-19.
- In partnership with Declan Kelly and Teneo, the global CEO advisory firm, VAX LIVE and Global Citizen’s Recovery Plan for the World are supported by a coalition of Global Partners including Cisco, Citi, The Coca-Cola Company, Delta Air Lines, Google, Live Nation, P&G and Verizon. As leaders of many of the world’s top companies, co-chairs Chuck Robbins, chairman and CEO of Cisco; Jane Fraser, CEO of Citi; James Quincey, chairman and CEO of The Coca-Cola Company; Ed Bastian, CEO of Delta Air Lines; Michael Rapino, CEO of Live Nation; Marc Pritchard, CBO of P&G; and Hans Vestberg, CEO of Verizon, will work together to engage the private sector to help achieve the campaign’s priority policy goals. Lorraine Twohill, CMO of Google, and Mindy Grossman, CEO of WW International, are also supporting leaders of Global Citizen’s Recovery Plan for the World.
- The VAX LIVE: The Concert to Reunite the World campaign includes policy partners: The World Health Organization (WHO), The Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovation (CEPI), Gavi – The Vaccine Alliance, The Global Fund to fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, The COVID-19 Therapeutics Accelerator, The Foundation for Innovative New Diagnostics (FIND) and UNITAID, and philanthropic partners: Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, The Rockefeller Foundation and Allan & Gill Gray Philanthropy.
What They’re Saying:
- Hugh Evans, Global Citizen co-founder & CEO: “As a global community, we are in a race against time and the key to coming back together is the vaccine. We need to build vaccine confidence in the U.S. and globally, and encourage people to take the vaccine as quickly as possible. There is a light at the end of this tunnel, but getting vaccines to everyone, everywhere regardless of who they are or where they are from is key to ensuring the end of this pandemic around the world. We must all unite to get back on track to eradicating extreme poverty.”
- Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, WHO Director-General: “The World Health Organization is pleased to be partnering with Global Citizen in the fight against COVID-19. Throughout the response to the pandemic, we have been grateful for the efforts and commitment shown by global citizens, health advocates and changemakers around the world to advocate for vaccine equity to protect the most vulnerable people, everywhere. WHO will continue to work closely with all nations and partners to help manage potential risks and use science and data to drive a targeted global response.”
- Selena Gomez: “I’m honored to be hosting VAX LIVE: The Concert to Reunite the World. This is a historic moment to encourage people around the world to take the COVID-19 vaccine when it becomes available to them, call on world leaders to share vaccine doses equitably and to bring people together for a night of music in a way that hasn’t felt possible in the past year. I can’t wait to be a part of it.”
- Gavin Newsom, Governor of California: “The State of California is thankful to Global Citizen for demonstrating what’s possible when we embrace getting vaccinated and encourage others to get immunized as well. Music and the arts have long brought us together to celebrate moments of hope and happiness. This concert is no exception to that. We are excited to showcase the best of California reopening in compliance with the best standards of health and safety.”
- Barbara Ferrer, PhD, MPH, MEd, director, Los Angeles County Department of Public Health: “COVID-19 vaccines are proving to be the most powerful tool in our fight to end the pandemic, so far saving the lives of millions of people in Los Angeles County alone. Global Citizen and VAX LIVE is showing us all what is possible when vaccinations are combined with strict safety measures. I am grateful for their commitment to this effort and appreciate the many partners from across the world coming together to raise awareness about the importance of getting vaccinated.”
- Eric Garcetti, Mayor of Los Angeles: “Global Citizen is giving voice to a core message to Angelenos, Americans and citizens of the world: Every time someone gets vaccinated, we move another step closer to ending this pandemic. VAX LIVE will open our eyes to the future we can forge if we all do our part, follow health guidelines, and get our shots as soon as we’re eligible — a return to concerts with our fellow fans, gatherings with loved ones, and the embrace of family and friends.”