Kristen Wiig and Annie Mumolo are reportedly developing a live-action film based on Cinderella's stepsisters for Disney, according to Deadline.
- Wiig and Mumolo are coming off of the success of their film Barb & Star Go to Vista Del Mar and now it looks like they have their next project.
- It is unknown at this time whether or not the duo will also star in the Cinderella spin-off film because it is so early in development.
- If they do appear in the film though, it would not be as the stepsisters, Anastasia and Drizella, as the plan is reportedly for them to be portrayed by younger actresses.
- The film is being described as a “fairy tale musical comedy that re-imagines the Cinderella classic from the point of view of her infamous evil stepsisters.”
- “Spanning their early childhood through the marriage of their universally beloved stepsister and beyond, we follow Anastasia and Drizella Tremaine as they struggle to uphold their family’s legacy.”
- Wiig and Mumolo will be co-writing the yet-untitled film with Jessica Elbaum and Will Ferrell from Gloria Sanchez Productions set to produce.
- The writing duo was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay for the hit comedy Bridesmaids.