Over the last year, the skyline of Mickey’s Toontown at Disneyland Park has been drastically altered (temporarily!) as the show building for Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway takes shape, with a large, hilarious banner telling us not to believe our own eyes!
- Work continues on Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway, still set for a 2023 opening in Mickey’s Toontown at Disneyland Park.
- The show building for the attraction is absolutely massive. Those familiar with the Florida counterpart at Disney’s Hollywood Studios may realize it uses the gargantuan show building of The Great Movie Ride, a space that does not exist at Disneyland Park, and as such, needed to be built from the ground up.
- Backstage buildings were removed before the parks closed due to the global pandemic, as evidenced by the removal of the flat Toontown hills that served as a backdrop to the land.
- A few days prior to today’s grand reopening of Disneyland Park, Disneyland shared a brief glimpse of the huge building that is adorned with a hilarious banner.
- Today, with the reopening of the park, we see up close what the banner says: “What Big Building? There’s NO big building here! Paid for by the Toontown Dept of Implausible Deniability”
- The building stretches almost the length of Toontown and will likely not stay this way for long, and we will likely see the return of the Toontown hills adorning the side of this building in the future.
- For now, the big billboard that tells us there is no big building there is a hilarious way to get fans to look the other way as this monstrosity takes over the Toontown skyline for now.
- Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway, set to open in 2023, will take place in Toontown’s legendary (but not built yet) El Capitoon Theater, for the premiere of a brand new Mickey & Minnie short cartoon, then hang on as you are magically transported into the animated feature! What starts out as a simple country drive takes a wacky and fun turn when you join conductor Goofy on a nearby train.
- The ride will be similar to Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway at Disney’s Hollywood Studios which opened at the park in 2020, shortly before the parks closed due to the global pandemic.