Hulu has announced a new nine-part original docuseries on the history of the Los Angeles Lakers franchise coming to the service in 2022.
- A docuseries about the history of the Los Angeles Lakers will be coming to Hulu in 2022.
- The series will detail the past four decades of the Lakers with new interviews from over 35 people including Pat Riley, Phil Jackson, Magic Johnson, Shaquille O’Neal, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, and more.
- It will also feature archival footage and never-before-seen interviews with the Lakers’ late owner Jerry Buss.
- The project comes from Lakers’ CEO and controlling owner Jeanie Buss, director Antoine Fuqua, in association with Fuqua Films, Haven Entertainment, and Los Angeles Media Fund.
About the Docuseries:
- “Starting from his acquisition of the team in 1979, the docuseries captures Jerry Buss’ remarkable journey to build, sustain and pass on a family-run sports empire. The project will offer a fresh and revealing look inside the legendary “Showtime” era that saw the team win five NBA titles and turned the Forum into Hollywood’s hottest ticket throughout the 1980s. The series also details the high-stakes drama off the court and incredible successes of the Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O’Neal-led championship teams, as well as the cultural impact of the Lakers franchise and rebirth of the team, culminating with the 2020 NBA championship led by LeBron James and Anthony Davis. At the heart is a story about sports, business, and, most of all, family – and how those competing forces must be harnessed to achieve greatness.”
What They’re Saying:
- Jeanie Buss, Lakers’ CEO and controlling owner: “When Dr. Buss bought the Lakers in 1979, he sat alone at center court of the Forum and thought of all the possibilities. But even in his wildest dreams, my father could not have imagined what the next decades would bring for our organization, our league and our city of Los Angeles. I am thrilled that the true story of the Lakers will finally be shared with the world — and that we are in such capable hands with Hulu and Antoine, a director whose storytelling I’ve admired for years.”
- Antoine Fuqua, Director: “We are proud to bring this docuseries to the world and shed light on the legendary history of the Lakers. This expansive look into one of the greatest sports franchises of all time is a project we all feel deeply passionate about.”
- Belisa Balaban, VP, Original Documentaries, Hulu: “The Los Angeles Lakers are one of sports’ most illustrious franchises. Theirs is a history of epic highs and tragic lows, and generations of legendary players and teams who have made a profound impact, not just on the sports world, but on the culture. We are honored to join Jeanie, Antoine and the whole creative team to bring Hulu viewers the very real inside look at the remarkable story of the rise and fall, and rise again of the Lakers.”
The untitled docuseries on the history of the Los Angeles Lakers franchise will be coming to Hulu in 2022.