As Disney General Entertainment continues to celebrate diverse stories and voices, they’ve announced a new content brand, Onyx Collective will be coming to Hulu.
- Dana Walden, chairman of Entertainment, Walt Disney Television, has announced a new content brand on Hulu called Onyx Collective.
- Onyx Collective is designed to curate a slate of premium entertainment by creators of color and underrepresented voices and will be led by Tara Duncan.
- Duncan, who also serves as president of Freeform, has been spearheading this effort since it was announced last year.
- Onyx Collective is a reflection of Disney General Entertainment’s commitment to inclusive storytelling from creators of color that resonate in the U.S. and around the globe.
- Hulu will serve as a primary home for Onyx Collective titles, though the roster of creators under the Onyx Collective brand will have access to all Disney platforms.
- Select titles will also be available internationally on Disney+ as part of the Star general entertainment offering.
What They’re Saying:
- Dana Walden, chairman of Entertainment, Walt Disney Television: “Our industry is immeasurably enriched by the incredible talents of emerging and established creators of color. Launching Onyx Collective allows us to be the best partners to those creators, providing them with the support they need to do their best work. Tara Duncan is a gifted executive with fantastic instincts. With her leading this talented team, we have the opportunity to tell transformative stories that authentically represent our audience and are essential to our success.”
- Tara Duncan, President of Freeform: “We’re building a home where creators of color are inspired, empowered and have unparalleled access to reach audiences around the world. This artist-first approach will make Onyx Collective synonymous with entertaining, brave and bold ideas told from a distinct point of view. I’m humbled by the opportunity and all of the possibilities.”
More from the Onyx Collective:
- The recently acquired documentary, Summer of Soul (…or, When the Revolution Could Not be Televised), is the first official project under the Onyx Collective brand. The film will be released theatrically by Searchlight Pictures and will begin streaming on Hulu in the U.S. on July 2, 2021.
- Summer of Soul will also stream internationally through the Star offering on Disney+ on a date to be confirmed.
- Additionally, produced by Oprah Winfrey and Lionsgate, the groundbreaking The 1619 Project, based on materials from The New York Times Magazine and Nikole Hannah-Jones’s acclaimed work by the same name, will launch on Hulu on a date yet to be announced.
- Onyx Collective will also be home to prolific creators including the recently announced overall deal with writer, comedian Natasha Rothwell (Insecure, SNL).
- Additionally, all non-Marvel titles produced by Ryan Coogler’s Proximity (Judas and the Black Messiah, Black Panther) will also be shepherded by Duncan under the Onyx Collective brand.