This week, National Geographic is aiming to bring summer reading to life by hosting a week-long virtual event designed to provide families with an up-close-and-personal look into the incredible lives and stories of real-life National Geographic Explorers.
- This summer, National Geographic introduces young adventurers to their first-ever virtual 'camp', Explorer Academy Adventures—an online experience featuring a series of week-long entertaining and educational sessions based on the popular Explorer Academy kids’ fiction series. Hosted by engaging, energetic actors Albert Lawrence and Margeaux Jordan-Nelson – and led by world-renowned National Geographic Explorers – kids will be immersed in a world of wonder as they work together to solve mysteries, decipher codes, learn about the world, and create an action plan for becoming the explorers of tomorrow – just like their favorite characters in the Explorer Academy books.
- Explorer Academy Adventures will be available to kids across the globe from now until September 3rd, 2021. Weekly themes include Creepy Crawlies, Ocean, Ancient Civilization, and Mammals. Find out more information here: natgeolive.com/academy.
- To celebrate the book series and the virtual experience for kids ages 8-12, National Geographic will host Explorer Academy Recruitment Week from July 5, 2021 – July 9, 2021—. a series of Facebook Live events with the Explorer Academy Adventures hosts and a different National Geographic Explorer each night, specializing in a variety of fascinating fields including ecology, marine biology, paleontology, and photography.
- Each night will provide an up-close-and-personal look into the incredible lives and stories of the real Explorers that helped to inspire the action-packed Explorer Academy book series by Trudi Trueit. Viewers who tune in will have a chance to win book one of the series, Explorer Academy: The Nebula Secret, and a free week of Explorer Academy Adventures for their child.
- Alongside the hosts, Albert Lawrence and Margeaux Jordan-Nelson, National Geographic will highlight a world-class team of real-life Explorers during Recruitment Week, including:
- Rae Wynn Grant, large carnivore ecologist
- David Gruber, marine biologist
- Nizar Ibrahim, paleontologist
- Gab Mejia, conservation photographer and environmental storyteller
- Erika Bergman, oceanographer and submersible pilot
- Recruitment Week will take place from Monday, July 5, 2021 – Friday, July 9, 2021 at 7:00pm EST, each night.
- Parents of young adventurers can tune-in to Recruitment Week on the National Geographic Books Facebook page and register for the Summer Experience via natgeolive.com/academy.