ABC has announced the return of Stand Up To Cancer, airing on Saturday, August 21 as the entertainment community comes together for the seventh biennial televised fundraising special.
- Stand Up To Cancer is coming back to ABC on Saturday, August 21 at 8:00 pm ET/PT and 7:00 pm CT as the entertainment community comes together for the televised fundraising special to support urgently needed research and new treatments for cancer.
- The telecast will also be available to stream live and on-demand on several platforms.
- Reese Witherspoon and Jim Toth are co-executive producers of the special with co-hosts including Anthony Anderson, Ken Jeong & Tran Ho, and Sofia Vergara.
- Common and Brittany Howard are the first musical performers announced for the special with more coming in the following weeks.
- Stand Up To Cancer (SU2C) was established in 2008 by a group of women wanting to use the entertainment community to help raise awareness and funding for cancer research. Founders include Katie Couric, Sherry Lansing, Kathleen Lobb, Lisa Paulsen, Rusty Robertson, Sue Schwartz, Pamela Oas Williams, and Ellen Ziffren. The late Laura Ziskin and Noreen Fraser were also co-founders.
What They’re Saying:
- Reese Witherspoon: “Cancer is the second leading cause of death in the U.S. and the leading cause in Canada. Unfortunately, too many of us have a personal experience with this disease. I’m proud to highlight the amazing doctors and scientists of Stand Up To Cancer who work tirelessly on important cancer research, innovative treatments and much needed patient care.”
- Katie Couric, Stand Up To Cancer co-founder: “We believe fiercely in bringing innovative, high-quality cancer treatments to patients as quickly as possible. The show provides a powerful platform to make this dream a reality. It would not be possible without the generous support of the entertainment industry, our donors, and the broadcast networks that have come together alongside our celebrity co-producers and co-hosts to help create a world where everyone diagnosed with cancer can be a long-term survivor.”
- Sung Poblete, CEO SU2C, PhD, RN: “We must ensure that new cancer treatments are developed quickly and efficiently and that there is access to preventive and lifesaving oncology services in every community. With 100% of donations received from the public supporting Stand Up To Cancer’s innovative cancer research and awareness programs, our telecast gives us an opportunity to come together and take action to help raise the needed funds for this crucial work.”