DisneylandForward, the Walt Disney Company’s Effort with the City of Anaheim to be able to expand and evolve the Disneyland Resort in the future, has asked for some changes to local Anaheim roadways to allow for future growth.
- Earlier this year, Disneyland Resort made headlines when they announced a new project called “DisneylandForward.” Though many misinterpreted this project as the announcement of a third park for the Anaheim destination, in actuality it’s a multiyear public planning effort with the City of Anaheim to update existing development approvals that will allow Disney to meaningfully invest in Anaheim for years to come and meet the future demands in entertainment.
- In order to continue to evolve, they need to essentially rezone the land they already have as back in the 90’s it was approved and generally required new hotels to be located in the Hotel District and traditional theme park uses to be located in the Theme Park District.
- DisneylandForward is the campaign that will change those zoning regulations with approval from the City of Anaheim.
- Though no official major plans have been announced, Disney did give a few examples of what could be done, including new parking garages and a new entertainment district on the east side of the current property.
- It was revealed today that Disney is seeking these changes to roads in Anaheim near the Disneyland Resort as we know it today (most of which are on the east side of the property) as part of DisneylandForward:
- The removal of the proposed future extensions of Clementine Street between Katella Avenue and Orangewood Avenue and Gene Autry Way between Harbor Boulevard and Haster Street,
- The removal of the portion of Disneyland Drive between Magic Way and Katella Avenue as the Project will privatize this portion of Disneyland Drive
The reclassification of Disney Way between Anaheim Boulevard and Harbor Boulevard from a six-lane Major Arterial to a four-lane Primary Arterial.
- The abandonment of public right-of-way in Magic Way between Walnut Street and Disneyland Drive, in Disneyland Drive south of Magic Way to Katella Avenue, and in the portion of the proposed extension of Clementine Street between Katella Avenue and the southern boundary of the new Southeast District, previously dedicated by Disney to the City.
- An amendment to the Circulation Element, Existing and Planned Bicycle Facilities Map and Amendments to Figures 6 and 13 and Tables 7 and 10 of the Bicycle Master Plan to shift the proposed bike lane to Disney Way and to remove the proposed bike lane from Manchester Avenue/Clementine Street to the western property line of Disney’s property currently used as the Pumbaa surface parking lot.
- Approval of an amendment to the Orange County Master Plan of Arterial Highways to remove the proposed extensions of Gene Autry Way between Harbor Boulevard and Haster Street and of Clementine Street between Katella Avenue and Orangewood Avenue, which are planned through the Southeast District of the DRSP and the adjacent existing Toy Story Parking Lot in the ARSP; to remove the portion of Disneyland Drive between Magic Way and Katella Avenue as the Project will privatize this portion of Disneyland Drive; and to reclassify Disney Way between Anaheim Boulevard and Harbor Boulevard from a six-lane Major Arterial to a four lane Primary Arterial.
Laughing Place recommends MouseFanTravel.com for all your Disneyland Resort travel planning