The Walt Disney Company (Japan) Ltd. announced that Disney+ will expand its content offerings with Star coming to Japan on October 27, 2021.
- The Walt Disney Company (Japan) Ltd. is bringing Star to Disney+ Japan subscribers starting on October 27, 2021.
- The Star brand features movies and shows produced by Disney Television Studios (ABC Signature and 20th Television), FX Productions, 20th Century Studios, Searchlight Pictures and more.
- Content coming over with Star includes Nomadland, Pretty Woman, Titanic, The Devil Wears Prada, and Deadpool.
- Star will also feature exclusive originals and locally produced content tailored for the Japanese market.
New Features Coming to Disney+ Japan
- To coincide with the introduction of Star, Disney+ will add new features and compatibility for mobile and connected TV devices including game consoles, and smart TVs. Features will include 4K UHD quality, 5.1 channel sound, support for Dolby Atmos-compatible audio equipment, GroupWatch for watching content together with up to seven people, and stronger parental controls such as Kids Profile and Profile PINs.
More Ways to Subscribe to Disney+
- Disney+ is expanding its subscription channels, letting consumers subscribe at docomo shops, my docomo, via credit card, PayPal through the Disney+ website, Apple App Store, Google Play Store, and Amazon Appstore.
Monthly Subscription Price Updates
- Disney+ will be available at a fixed monthly subscription price of ¥990 (including tax), or a subscription from the Apple App store at ¥1,000 per month (including tax).
- For those who subscribe through docomo Shops and My docomo, the new price of ¥990 per month (including tax) will be applied starting November 1, 2021.
What They’re Saying:
- Carol Choi, President and Representative Director, The Walt Disney Company (Japan) Ltd.: “I am thrilled that we are expanding the Disney+ entertainment experience to Japanese consumers with the addition of the Star brand. Japan was the first market to launch Disney+ in North Asia and continues to be a high priority market for Disney. Together with NTT DOCOMO INC., Disney+ has been received very well by Japanese consumers. The addition of Star on Disney+ adds unprecedented breadth and depth to our general entertainment line-up and will allow us to collaborate with top creators to introduce the best of Japanese storytelling to our consumers.”