As the kickoff of Halloween Time at the Disneyland Resort begins, one returning favorite is sure to be enjoyed by guests and fans of the season in Paradise Gardens at Disney California Adventure with the Plaza de la Familia.
- Paradise Gardens in Disney California Adventure comes alive(?) with a celebration featuring all things Coco, during Halloween Time with the Plaza de la Familia, an immersive celebration of the everlasting bonds of family.
- In between performances of A Musical Celebration of Coco, guests can meet and create special memories with the film’s main character, Miguel, and post personal messages to their loved ones on the Memory Wall. Then stroll over to the iconic Mexican Árbol de la Vida (Tree of Life) to take a photo and design their own paper alebrije masks of Dante and Pepita, spirit guides from Coco.
- Guests can also enjoy stirring Mariachi concerts performed on the bandstand while they dine on delicious Mexican food at Paradise Garden Grill.
- The festive Musical Celebration of Coco is told by the entertaining storytellers of Plaza de la Familia and celebrates the popular songs from the film, including the Oscar-winning, “Remember Me”. As the lead storyteller Mateo recounts Miguel’s fantastical journey into the Land of the Dead Miguel appears as a whimsical, hand-animated dimensional figure, joining a musical gathering that brings together a lively troupe of singers and folklórico dancers dressed in beautiful, authentic costumes accompanied by the Grammy Award-winning Mariachi Divas. A Musical Celebration of Coco is performed several times daily.
- Guests can savor the flavors of delectable fare, and don’t forget to save room for delicious Mexican dishes from the special event menu at Paradise Garden Grill. There’s an option to please every palate, including tacos, tamales and a totally decadent dessert. A hibiscus-flavored Jamaica slush or Mexican hot chocolate served in a souvenir mug is also offered.
- Between shows, guests are invited to take pictures of Miguel and to make new memories with him as he joins his friend Juan beside a beautiful artistic mural entitled “Recuérdame.”
- Named for the iconic song from the film, the mural depicts the themes touched on by the Storytellers of Plaza de la Familia in A Musical Celebration of Coco, and celebrates Miguel’s family in Santa Cecilia and the Land of the Dead.
- Guests are also welcome to take commemorative photos in front of the iconic Mexican Árbol de la Vida, which overflows with colorful flowers and authentic Mexican Catrinas that are interconnected through this evocative Tree of Life, inspired by Mexican Folk Art Pottery. They can also add a remembrance note on the nearby Memory Wall to honor the many loved ones who have been—and will forever be—part of their lives.
- Additionally, Guests can design their own paper alebrije (spirit guide) mask of Pepita or Dante as part of a craft activity. Alebrijes are small figurines of fantastical creatures, which feature a whimsical mix of the physical elements of many different animals. In the film Coco, the spirit guides that are prevalent in the Land of the Dead are living representations of these magical animals, and they serve as loyal companions.
Laughing Place recommends MouseFanTravel.com for all your Disneyland Resort travel planning