Disney+ has greenlit a new show, American Born Chinese, a genre-hopping action-comedy series, based on the graphic novel of the same name by Gene Luen Yang.
About “American Born Chinese”
- Destin Daniel Cretton (Marvel's Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, Short Term 12) is set to direct and executive-produce. Kelvin Yu (Bob’s Burgers) will serve as the showrunner.
- American Born Chinese tells the story of Jin Wang, an average teenager juggling his high school social life with his immigrant home life. When he meets a new foreign student on the first day of the school year, even more worlds collide as Jin is unwittingly entangled in a battle of Chinese mythological gods.
- The show is described as a genre-hopping action-comedy that explores issues of identity, culture, and family.
What They’re Saying:
- Kelvin Yu, executive producer and showrunner: "Gene Luen Yang's book is a staple in American literature, and deeply important to a whole generation of readers. Destin and Melvin are storytellers working at the highest level imaginable. It's all so exciting and so humbling to be a part of."
- Destin Daniel Cretton, director and executive producer: "Reading Kelvin's riveting adaptation of Gene's incredible novel had me laughing and crying and jumping out of my chair on every page. I feel deeply connected to the characters in this story and the brilliant team bringing it to life. This show is going to be unlike anything we've experienced on TV, and I can't wait for the world to see what we're cooking up."
- Gene Luen Yang, Creator of the American Born Chinese graphic novel: "I feel so lucky to be working with this team. Melvin Mar is a man with a vision, and I'm deeply grateful that he took this project under his wing. Kelvin Yu is a phenomenal talent. His script brings to television everything I wanted to get across in my book. And Destin Cretton… who in America isn't a fan of Destin Cretton right now? I can't wait for him to bring his signature blend of action and heart to the show. When I was in high school, I was such a big Disney fan that I had at least one Mickey Mouse item on me at all times: a wallet, a watch, a belt buckle, a t-shirt, something. Being a part of Disney+ is a dream come true."