Schele Williams has been tapped to direct the previously announced Hidden Figures stage musical from Disney Theatrical, according to Broadway.com.
- Williams broke the news about directing the new show during a conversation she had on Good Morning America about her children's book Your Legacy: A Bold Reclaiming of Our Enslaved History.
- The 20th Century Studios film of the same name is loosely based on Shetterly’s nonfiction book.
- The film chronicled the contributions made by Black female NASA mathematicians who were crucial to the United States’ Space Race missions of the 1960s.
- Taraji P. Henson starred as mathematician Katherine Johnson, and Octavia Spencer garnered an Oscar nomination for her performance as NASA supervisor and mathematician Dorothy Vaughan.
- The film's cast also included:
- Janelle Monáe
- Kevin Costner
- Kirsten Dunst
- Jim Parsons
- Glen Powell
- Mahershala Ali
- Film scholar and former film critic Elvis Mitchell is also attached to the new musical as a creative consultant.
- Details about the musical's cast, creative team and timeline have not yet been announced.
What they’re saying:
- Director Schele Williams: "I have a long history with Disney, and Tom Schumacher specifically. During the development of Aida, we talked about stories that resonated with me. Amplifying stories about the extraordinary accomplishments of Black women are at the top of my list. Now that I am a mother, I think about the impact the art I make is going to have on my girls. I could not think of a show that is more connected to my passion and purpose. I could not feel more honored. We are in early stages. I have had the pleasure of speaking with the author of the book, Margot Lee Shetterly and with her guidance, I am learning as much as I can about these incredible women, the era and their impact."