- Walt Disney World has, without the usual fanfare or even blog post, added a special New Year’s Countdown Fireworks show to take place at EPCOT on December 31st.
- In 2020, the parks did not ring in the New Year with the usual celebrations, even closing before the midnight hour.
- This year, however, not only is EPCOT now having these special fireworks, which start at 11:54 PM, but over at the Magic Kingdom, the classic Fantasy in the Sky fireworks will be performed as well.
- Fantasy in the Sky at the Magic Kingdom is scheduled to be performed on both December 30th as well as the 31st, but this new EPCOT countdown appears to only take place on New Year’s Eve proper.
- Based on the schedule, this special performance is not simply a tag to Harmonious, similar to what was seen in the past with Illuminations: Reflections of Earth, Indicated by a separate performance of the new show earlier in the evening at 6:30 PM.
- In the past, the fireworks countdown at EPCOT featured each country of World Showcase celebrating their own switch into the new year, all building into a live countdown as midnight approached in the Orlando/Eastern time zone.
- Now, with the infrastructure for Harmonious in place, this special countdown could make use of the new technology that has been installed, including any of the screens in place and the fountains as well. However, we have no confirmation that this will be used, and could end up as it was in EPCOT Forever when that show returned, sitting dark beneath the fireworks above.
Laughing Place recommends MouseFanTravel.com for all your Walt Disney World travel planning