Disney is celebrating AAPI Heritage Month. If you are wanting to be able to celebrate in your own home with a delicious Korean Fried Chicken Bowl with Cucumber Namasu we have the recipe from Chef Kevin Chong.
- Chef Kevin Chong is a culinary cast member at the Walt Disney World Resort.
- His Korean heritage has brought AAPI representation to tables across Walt Disney World by creating a delicious Korean Fried Chicken Bowl with Cucumber Namasu.
- The dish is inspired by his "Mama Chong" and Korean flavors.
Ingredients: (Serves 4)
- 1 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup gochujang paste
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 11/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- Salt and pepper
Double-Fried Chicken Thighs:
- Oil for frying
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2/3 cup potato starch
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- I teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Korean Fried Chicken Bowls:
- 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
For Cucumber Namasu:
- Combine rice wine vinegar, salt, and sugar in a medium bowl.
- Whisk until sugar is dissolved.
- Add cucumbers and stir to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours, up to 1 day.
For Gochujang Sauce:
- Combine gochujang paste, ketchup, minced garlic, sesame oil, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, lemon juice, and brown sugar in a medium saucepan.
- Season with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer over medium neat.
- Reduce heat to low and continue simmering for two minutes.
- Keep warm until ready to serve.
For Double-Fried Chicken Thighs:
- Place a wire cooling rack over a baking sheet. Set aside
- With caution, heat oil in a deep fryer or Dutch oven to 325°F.
- Cut chicken thighs into 1-inch pieces.
- Whisk potato starch, all-purpose flour, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish or pie plate. Coat chicken thighs in flour mixture.
- Carefully fry chicken for 3-4 minutes, until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Drain chicken on a reserved cooling rack set over a baking sheet.
- With caution, increase oil heat to 375°.
- Fry chicken a second time for 1-2 minutes, until golden brown and crispy.
- Return to the cooling rack.
- Pour gochujang sauce into a large bowl.
- Purée with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Add chicken to bowl and toss until coated.
- Add sesame seeds and sliced green onions to the bowl and stir to evenly divide rice among 4 bowls.
- Top rice with chicken and cucumber namasu.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves.
Laughing Place recommends MouseFanTravel.com for all your Walt Disney World travel planning