View Update Details (Last update: 8/20/2018)
8/20/2018: Added links to ABC Prime Time Special and Mickey: The True Original Exhibition
5/9/2018: Added link to RANKIN’s Mickey Mouse & Me book to benefit charity
4/17/2018: Added link to Sound and Sorcery Celebrating Disney’s Fantasia
4/5/2018: Added link to Destination D: Celebrating Mickey Mouse
3/6/2018: Added D23 Membership Gift pictures
Mickey Mouse will celebrate his 90th birthday on November 18th, but a mouse this special shouldn’t be limited to just a one-day celebration. In honor of his amazing life, Disney will be hosting a year full of events, shows, merchandise, and more all around the world! Everyone is welcome to join Mickey as the celebration continues across The Walt Disney Company, throughout 2018 and beyond.
Mickey's 90th Birthday!
- Walt Disney Parks and Resorts around the world will celebrate Mickey’s 90th on November 18, marking the day with commemorative merchandise, photo locations and more.
- Beginning in late 2018 and into 2019 the World’s Biggest Mouse Party, saluting Mickey and Minnie, will take place at Disney parks worldwide.
- On March 7th couture brand Opening Ceremony will premiere their Mickey-inspired collection at “The Happiest Show on Earth” — a runway fashion event. Select items from the Mickey collaboration will be immediately available for sale following the runway show at shopDisney.com, OpeningCeremony.com and Opening Ceremony stores, while the remaining ready-to-wear looks will hit stores in November.
- Disney’s collaboration with Opening Ceremony launches “Mickey the True Original”—a global celebration of Mickey’s heritage, personality and status as a pop-culture icon. The campaign will come to life through fashion collaborations with other true original brands, as well as engaging content and events that embrace Mickey’s impact on the past, present and future.
- Disney store will continue to celebrate milestone moments for Mickey Mouse with the Mickey Mouse Memories Collection (launched January 2018), a monthly, limited-release series of 12 collectible plush, mugs and cloisonné pins inspired by Mickey’s most memorable movie roles.
- D23: The Official Disney Fan Club is also celebrating Mickey’s 90th throughout 2018. D23 and the Walt Disney Archives have partnered with Walt Disney Animation Studios to commission legendary Disney animator Mark Henn (Mickey’s Christmas Carol, the upcoming Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2) to paint Mickey’s official 90th birthday portrait, which will debut on the cover of the fall issue of D23’s magazine.
- In November, D23 will present Destination D: Celebrating Mickey Mouse, a two-day event at Walt Disney World featuring panels, presentations and fun-filled entertainment.
- Additionally, this year’s annual gift for D23 Gold Members is an exclusive box set of 23 special Mickey Mouse mementos—authentic reproductions of such treasured keepsakes as pages from the script of Steamboat Willie and a miniature animation cel from Parade of the Award Nominees (1932).
- This fall, ABC will air a star-studded celebration of Mickey in honor of his birthday, with special guests, musical performances and more.
- Disney Channel will debut a fifth season of the Mickey Mouse animated shorts, taking the series total to more than 90 shorts, including a special seven-minute extended-length birthday episode that will air later this year.
Disney on Ice
- Disney On Ice will salute Mickey as the “True Original” host of Disney On Ice since its inception in 1981 by creating Mickey’s 90th pre-shows for productions touring the United States, Europe, Middle East, Africa and Latin America.
- Disney On Ice presents Mickey’s Special Celebration, a new production showcasing Mickey Mouse’s memories throughout the years, will launch in Japan in July 2018 and continue touring throughout the Asia-Pacific region until August 2019.
- Disney Publishing Worldwide will introduce more than 30 titles globally as part of Mickey’s 90th, including books, arts & crafts and comics.
Around the World
- In France, 38 design and art schools will take part in “Mickey Is Art,” a unique contest in which students will craft works of Mickey, inspired by their favorite artistic movement. The winning designs will be displayed this summer in 12 major train stations in France and for sale this September at Galerie Glénat in Paris.
- In honor of Mickey’s 90th year, the Dubai garden in Abu Dhabi built a giant Mickey Mouse Topiary that is nearly 60 feet tall. The record breaking topiary is the largest in the world and contains over 1000 plants and flowers. The Dubai Miracle Garden plans to have as many as six more Disney characters by November—just in time for the worldwide celebration of Mickey’s 90th birthday.
- The Vaults in London has developed an immersive, multi sensory, theatrical production to celebrate our favorite mouse’s birthday. Sound and Sorcery Celebrating Disney’s Fantasia is a show that takes place in the tunnels under Waterloo station and will run from July 3rd—September 30th.
- Photographer RANKIN snapped portraits of cultural icons for his Mickey Mouse & Me book. The collection of pictures will be sold at auction exclusively on eBay with proceeds benefitting Together for Short Lives.
- This November, Mickey: The True Original Exhibition will open in New York City. Fans will experience the history of the global pop culture icon from his first appearance in Steamboat Willie through today.
Laughing Place will also be celebrating Mickey Mouse throughout the year. Follow us for news, features, and more about the mouse that started it all.