This past week, Disney•Pixar’s Incredibles 2 enjoyed a spectacular — or, dare we say, incredible — record-breaking opening weekend at the box office.
- Taking in an estimated $180 million, Incredibles 2 easily earned the title of highest-grossing opening weekend for an animated film. Update: actual box office numbers increased the film’s take to $182.68 million.
- The previous record holder was Finding Dory, which took in $135 million the same weekend two years ago.
- In addition to breaking the animated record, Incredibles 2 now also sits at #8 on the list of all-time largest domestic openings, besting Captain America: Civil War.
- With Incredibles 2 pushing Marvel’s Iron Man 3 out of the top 10, Disney still retains nine of top 10 spots on the list.
- Box office analysts expect this won’t be the end of the film’s incredible run as it was rated with an A+ Cinemascore by moviegoers.
- Note: final box office totals will be released later today.
In other Incredibles news:
- Following a viral tweet (seen below) warning of the strobe effects featured in Incredibles 2, cinemas are now alerting guest about these scenes. Disney reportedly sent a memo to theatres after it was brought to their attention that the flashing lights that appear in a handful of scenes could affect those with epilepsy, migraines, or other conditions.
HEALTH ALERT I haven’t seen this mentioned in a lot of places, but the new Incredibles 2 movie (#incredibles2) is filled with tons of strobe/flashing lights that can cause issues for people with epilepsy, migraines, and chronic illness. This thread is spoiler free
— Veronica Lewis (@veron4ica) June 15, 2018
Thank you to everyone for retweeting this, writing articles, and signal boosting my message! My goal of having signs at the ticket counter was reached so that people can be warned about the flashing lights in Incredibles 2. pic.twitter.com/JljozWlojd
— Veronica Lewis (@veron4ica) June 17, 2018
- Later this week, Pixar Pier will officially debut at Disney California Adventure — including the unveiling of the Incredicoaster. This retheming of the California Screamin’ coaster means the Incredicoaster will reign as the fastest and most intense roller coaster at the Disneyland Resort and will feature some new fun with our favorite super family. See what else we know about the new attraction as we wait for its grand opening on June 23rd.
- If you can’t get enough Incredibles, check out what Jeremiah learned about the film during the recent press conference. Additionally, Alex took a look at the mid-century style of the film that gives it a unique look and feel.