Today, Lucasfilm confirmed the cast list for the upcoming Star Wars: Episode IX — including the return of Billy Dee Williams as Lando Calrissian plus an appearance by Carrie Fisher.
- Among the returning cast members are Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong’o, Domhnall Gleeson, Kelly Marie Tran, Joonas Suotamo, and Billie Lourd.
- Additionally, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, and the aforementioned Billy Dee Williams will return to the series.
- The late Carrie Fisher will also appear in Episode IX via previously unreleased footage from The Force Awakens.
- In a statement regarding Fisher’s appearance, director J.J. Abrams said, “We desperately loved Carrie Fisher. Finding a truly satisfying conclusion to the Skywalker saga without her eluded us. We were never going to recast, or use a CG character. With the support and blessing from her daughter, Billie, we have found a way to honor Carrie’s legacy and role as Leia in Episode IX by using unseen footage we shot together in Episode VII.”
- Naomi Ackie and Richard E. Grant will be joining the cast for this outing of the saga.
- Lastly, composer John William will once again score the film.
- Interestingly, Keri Russell — who was said to be in talks for a role in the film — was absent from the currently confirmed cast list. UPDATE: Deadline now reports that Russell closed her deal just after the news release went out and will appear in the film afterall.
- Star Wars Episode IX is currently set for release in December 2019.