After a months-long hiatus on Disneyland Resort’s luxury fourth hotel project, Disneyland Resort has confirmed the project has been officially canceled.
- The Orange County Register reports that Disneyland Resort has officially cancelled their fourth resort hotel.
- The luxury resort was announced in the fall of 2017 with a projected opening of 2021.
- Just prior to groundbreaking for the new property this summer, the city of Anaheim informed Disney officials that the project would no longer qualify for a previously agreed upon tax subsidy.
- Since the announcement of the hotel, Disneyland Resort had moved the location of the hotel by 1,000 feet, forcing the city to view it as a new project.
- In response to the city, this past August, Disneyland announced they were putting the hotel project on hold indefinitely.
- Disneyland Resort President, Josh D’Amaro later wrote a letter to the city asking to dissolve two economic development agreements.
What they’re saying:
- Spokeswoman Lisa Haines: “We’ve taken the time to review the economics of our proposed four-diamond hotel for Anaheim and have made the final decision to cancel the project. While this is disappointing for many, the conditions and agreements that stimulated this investment in Anaheim no longer exist and we must therefore adjust our long-term investment strategy.”
- Anaheim spokesman Mike Lyster: “We would have loved to have seen this hotel go forward, but we understand that the company needed to evaluate whether it was feasible for them. We look forward to whatever they may end up doing with the space.”
Downtown Disney District:
- Several restaurants on the west end of Downtown Disney closed in preparation for hotel construction. Among those locations were:
- Rainforest Cafe
- ESPN Zone
- AMC Theatres
- Earl of Sandwich
- Starbucks West
- and more
- The announcement of the hotel project being put on hold followed the closing of theses locations. To bring some activity to the west end, Disney brought in food trucks over the summer that were a hit with guests.
- Last week, to the excitement of many guests, Earl of Sandwich reopened for a limited time. No official close date has been announced at this time.