As The Walt Disney Company prepares to acquire 21st Century Fox and many of its assets, fans and shareholders have been wondering just how the corporate structure will shake out. Deadline reports today on the expected structure of the Fox studios division of The Walt Disney Company.
- Disney and Fox have announced the new Disney Studios structure that will go into effect once the Disney/Fox merger is complete.
- 20th Century Fox Vice Chairman Emma Watts will continue leading the studio once it is absorbed by The Walt Disney Company.
- Watts will report directly to Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn.
- Joining Watts are Fox Searchlight chiefs Nancy Utley and Stephen Gilula as well as Fox 2000 President of Production Elizabeth Gabler.
- Current 20th Century Fox Chairman and CEO Stacey Snider will not stay on following the merger as has been previously reported.
- Snider will depart the Fox lot when the merger deal officially closes. She is currently overseeing the releases of:
- The Hate U Give
- The Favourite
- Bad Times at the El Royale
- Bohemian Rhapsody
- Also heading to Disney are Fox Animation co-Presidents Andrea Miloro and Robert Baird, as well as Fox Family President Vanessa Morrison.
Expected Reporting Structure for Disney/Fox Merger:
- Disney laid out the following reporting structure to Horn as follows:
- Emma Watts, Vice Chairman, Twentieth Century Fox Film and President, Production, Twentieth Century Fox
- Nancy Utley and Stephen Gilula, Chairmen, Fox Searchlight Pictures
- Elizabeth Gabler, President of Production, Fox 2000
- Reporting to Horn and Watts will be:
- Andrea Miloro and Robert Baird, Co-Presidents, Fox Animation
- Vanessa Morrison, President, Fox Family
- The executives will join Horn’s existing leadership team that includes:
- Alan Bergman, President, The Walt Disney Studios
- Sean Bailey, President, Walt Disney Studios Motion Picture Production
- Ed Catmull, President, Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios
- Jennifer Lee, Chief Creative Officer, Walt Disney Animation Studios
- Pete Docter, Chief Creative Officer, Pixar Animation Studios
- Kevin Feige, President, Marvel Studios
- Louis D’Esposito, Co-President, Marvel Studios
- Kathleen Kennedy, President, Lucasfilm
- Ken Bunt, President, Disney Music Group
- Thomas Schumacher, President & Producer, Disney Theatrical Group
What they’re saying:
- Robert A. Iger, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, The Walt Disney Company: “We’re pleased that these talented executives will be joining our incredible team of studio leaders once the acquisition of 21st Century Fox is completed. Under Alan Horn’s leadership, Disney, Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilm have reached unprecedented levels of creative and box-office success, and adding Fox’s impressive film brands and franchises to our studio will allow us to create even more appealing high-quality entertainment to delight audiences.”
- Alan Horn, Chairman, The Walt Disney Studios: “The addition of these respected film groups under the umbrella of The Walt Disney Studios will create endless possibilities as we continue to deliver first-rate motion pictures to audiences around the world. This is an experienced group of executives, and Alan Bergman and I look forward to welcoming them to our leadership ranks upon completion of the acquisition.”
- Earlier this year, Disney’s acquisition of 21st Century Fox received formal approval from shareholders of both companies.
- Disney and 21st Century Fox have entered into a consent decree with the U.S. Department of Justice that allows the acquisition to proceed, however, Fox will need to sell their Fox Sports Regional Networks.