Disney has revealed (via Entertainment Weekly) character posters for the upcoming live-action remake of their animated classic, Dumbo.
- In addition to the five character posters, EW shared descriptions of the characters, giving us more insight and a closer look at:
- Dumbo – Born at the struggling Medici Bros. circus, sweet newborn baby Dumbo is initially a disappointment to the circus owner due to his unusually big ears but once he shows that he can fly, he becomes a hit. The baby elephant is put through a heart-breaking journey as he’s separated from his mother, leaving him afraid and alone as he joins a fancy new circus, Dreamland, as its star attraction.
- Holt Farrier played by Colin Farrell – A former horse showman who returns from World War I a widower and having lost an arm. He returns home to his two children, Milly and Joe, and a circus on the verge of financial ruin. But when Holt is charged with the care of the big-eared baby elephant, he finds a whole new world of possibilities open up for him and his children.
- V.A. Vandevere played by Michael Keaton – With every hero comes a villain, and in Dumbo’s case, it’s none other than the savvy, slick entrepreneur V.A. Vandevere, the owner of a rival, state-of-the-art amusement utopia called Dreamland. With money on his mind, Dumbo becomes Vandevere’s cash cow – err, elephant — and he plans to make the baby flying elephant the newest Dreamland attraction.
- Colette Marchant played by Eva Green – French-born aerialist Colette Marchant, the star of V.A. Vandevere’s Dreamland. She finds herself paired up with Dumbo for a new type of high-flying act at Vandevere’s circus, bringing her into the orbit of Holt and his family.
- Max Medici played by Danny DeVito – The owner of the struggling Medici Bros. circus. He buys a pregnant elephant with the hopes that the new baby elephant would bring more visitors but is disheartened when Dumbo is born and displays his unusually large ears. Medici’s fortunes change when Dumbo shows he can fly and attracts the attention of Vandevere.
What they’re saying:
- Farrell on his character: “What once was my home and a place where I was incredibly comfortable, is now a place that I feel very estranged from.”
- Keaton on portraying the villain: “Often the antagonist is really fun to play, and it was.”
- Keaton on his character’s relationship with Medici: “I manipulate him and everyone around him.”
More on Dumbo:
- The Tim Burton directed film will combine live-action with CGI to tell this beloved tale.
- The first trailer was released in November.
- Dumbo is scheduled to premiere in theaters on March 29, 2019