Chiquita has been named the official banana sponsor for the Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend. Teaming up with Disney for its 2018-2019 athletic events, the companies are implementing a Banana Peel Recycling Program as part of commitment to sustainability.
- With the Walt Disney World Marathon weekend just days away, Chiquita has been announced as the official banana sponsor.
- As the official banana sponsor of the race weekend, Chiquita will donate more than 100,000 bananas to runners and spectators during the race weekend.
- Disney and Chiquita have also teamed up to implement a banana peel collection and recycling process for the 2018-2019 runDisney race season as part of a larger strategy to strengthen environmental responsibility.
- Chiquita branded waste bins will be placed in strategic locations within runDisney race finish line areas throughout the race season to maximize capture rate with runners and spectators.
- The new collection process, will be implemented for the entire 2019 runDisney series.
- If all peels are recycled, this program has the potential to divert upwards of 14 tons of food scraps (28,000 pounds of banana peels) from landfills and turn them into electricity and fertilizer.
What they’re saying:
- Angie Renner: “We’re always looking for ways to strengthen our commitment to the environment, and the banana peel collection and recycling process is the newest element of our environmental strategy for runDisney. We’re excited to work with Chiquita to implement a recycling program where we can work together with our guests to reduce food waste from landfills.”
- Jamie Postell, Director of Sales North America: “Chiquita aspires to be a ‘Good Neighbor,’ and is committed to making a difference with consumers and the communities we serve. We want to leverage our global recognition and the reach of our Blue Sticker, especially when it comes to promoting recycling and a cleaner environment. We hope the spectators and runners at ‘The Most Magical Place on Earth’ will see the stickers on our bananas and remember that Chiquita commits to recycling efforts for a more sustainable planet.”
Bananas for everyone:
- Chiquita will hand out bananas to runners and spectators during 2019 runDisney race season.
- Events will include:
About Chiquita Brands International:
- Chiquita is a leading global produce company employing 20,000 people across 25 countries.
- Serving nearly 70 countries, Chiquita provides consumers and customers with the highest quality of fruit and service, making Chiquita the banana of choice.
- Chiquita helps create a positive impact by implementing the principles of sustainability in all its business practices under the “Behind the Blue Sticker” initiative.
- Chiquita bananas are fat-free and cholesterol-free and are a great source of potassium and vitamins.
- For more information about Chiquita, visit their website at www.chiquita.com