For the past four years, BroadwayCon has brought actors and fans for a fun weekend of panels, discussions, show previews and more. This year Disney fans were in for an extra special treat during, “Disney Theatrical at 25: The Stars Align.”
- This past Friday, Disney Theatrical Productions hosted “Disney Theatrical at 25: The Stars Align ” at BroadwayCon in Manhattan.
- The lively panel was made up of some of the stars who created these indelible shows and characters in their original productions.
- Moderated by Disney Theatrical Productions head Thomas Schumacher, the panel was a fascinating and hilarious discussion filled with behind-the-scenes stories.
- Panelists included:
- Christian Borle (Black Stache in Peter and the Starcatcher)
- Ashley Brown (title role in Mary Poppins)
- Merle Dandridge (Kala in Tarzan)
- Susan Egan (Belle in Beauty and the Beast)
- James Monroe Iglehart (Genie in Aladdin)
- Patti Murin (Anna in Frozen)
Photos credit: Marc Franklin.
Brief History of Disney Theatrical Productions:
- Disney Theatrical Productions, a division of The Walt Disney Studios, was formed in 1994 and operates under the direction of Thomas Schumacher.
- With more than 20 productions currently produced or licensed, a Disney musical is being performed professionally somewhere on the planet virtually every hour of the day.
- The company’s inaugural production, Beauty and the Beast, opened in 1994. It played a remarkable 13 year run on Broadway and has been produced in 37 countries worldwide.
- In November 1997, Disney opened The Lion King, which received six Tony Awards including Best Musical.
- Elton John and Tim Rice’s Aida opened on Broadway next, winning four 2000 Tony Awards.
- Mary Poppins, a co-production with Cameron Mackintosh, opened in London in 2004 and went on to enjoy a six year Tony-winning Broadway run.
- Tarzan, opened on Broadway in 2006, and went on to become an international hit with an award-winning production enjoying a 10-year run in Germany.
- In January 2008, The Little Mermaid opened on Broadway and was the #1-selling new musical of that year.
- In 2012, Disney Theatrical Productions opened Peter and the Starcatcher and Newsies, each of which enjoyed a two-year run.
- Aladdin, Disney Theatrical’s 2014 hit, continues selling out on Broadway and has launched five additional productions around the globe.
- Its newest hit, the 2018 Tony-nominated Best Musical Frozen, continues setting records in its Broadway run.
- BroadwayCon is theatre’s answer to comic-con, tailor made for fans.
- BroadwayCon 2019 featured panels, performances, interviews, workshops, singalongs, and more, all packed into an epic three-day weekend.
- BroadwayCon is produced by Mischief Management.
See Disney Broadway stars at Epcot: