Abandon ship! The writers that Disney had tapped for their reboot of the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise have reportedly left the project, according to Deadline.
- Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick, the writers of Fox’s Deadpool films, were eyed to write a reboot of the popular Pirates of the Caribbean movie franchise.
- Johnny Depp, the star of the previous five Pirates of the Caribbean films, was not attached to the planned reboot.
- Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean film franchise launched in 2003 with Curse of the Black Pearl and continued with four more movies through 2017.
- The franchise has earned over $4.5 billion over the last 14 years.
More Disney Pirates:
- Before it was ever a film franchise, Pirates of the Caribbean was (and still is) a water attraction at Disney Parks around the world.
- This past year, the ride’s infamous auction scene was updated and now features the Redheaded Bride as a pirate named Redd.
- Along with the updates to the attractions, Disneyland introduced a Redd the Pirate walk-around character this past summer.