During the 2019 ACM Awards, actress Chrissy Metz shared the stage with Carrie Underwood to perform the new song “I’m Standing With You” from Fox’s upcoming film Breakthrough.
- Actress Chrissy Metz will be making her feature film debut in Fox’s upcoming faith-based film, Breakthrough. Along with her starring role, Metz recorded the song “I’m Standing With You” for the film’s soundtrack.
- On Sunday, Metz performed the song with singer (and American Idol season 4 winner) Carrie Underwood during the 2019 ACM Awards, marking her first live performance.
- The Hollywood Reporter shared the story yesterday evening and noted that about halfway through the performance, the ladies were joined on stage by Lauren Alaina, Maddie & Tae and Mickey Guyton. All three are also featured on the soundtrack.
- The song was written by Diane Warren who told THR she was hesitant about having Metz perform the song, but changed her mind after hearing her sing.
What they’re saying:
- Songwriter Diane Warren: “To be honest, I was like, ‘Oh, [expletive] — an actress who wants to sing? Yikes. I met her in the studio and left while they recorded. I came back in a few hours and she blew me away. I was so shocked. She’s so soulful and has a great voice. I believe her.”
- Chrissy Metz on the collaboration: "an absolutely incredible experience."
- The film “chronicles the real-life story of a mother turning to her faith after her son falls into an icy lake.”
- Chrissy Metz (This Is Us)
- Topher Grace (The Muppets, Spider-Man 3)
- Mike Colter (Luke Cage)
- Josh Lucas (Sweet Home Alabama)
- Marcel Ruiz (One Day at A Time)
- Dennis Haysbert (24, Allstate commercials “Are you in good hands?”)
Breakthrough arrives in theaters on April 17.