Actor David Thewlis has reportedly been cast as the lead in National Geographic’s upcoming series, Barkskins based on the novel by Annie Proulx.
- Deadline is writing that actor David Thewlis (Wonder Woman, Harry Potter films) has been cast as the lead of Barkskins, a new drama series for National Geographic.
- Thewlis will play Monsieur Claude Trepagny, a wealthy landowner with grand visions for New France.
- The series was created by Elwood Reid in partnership with Fox 21 TV Studios and is based on the 2016 novel by Annie Proulx.
- Production is scheduled to begin later this year.
- Barkskins is expected to premiere on National Geographic globally in 172 countries and 43 languages.
About the series:
- “Barkskins follows a disparate group of outcasts who must navigate the brutal hardships, competing interests, and tangled loyalties at the crossroads of civilization—1600s New France—where the war to escape their past and re-make themselves is cast against the vast and unforgiving wilds of North America.
- Barkskins will be executive produced by:
- Elwood Reid
- Scott Rudin
- Garrett Basch
- Eli Bush
- David Slade
- Slade will also serve as a director.
- National Geographic’s Academy Award winning documentary, Free Solo is now available to stream on Hulu.
- In celebration of Earth Day, National Geographic is premiering documentary, The Last Animals. The film takes an intense look at the illicit ivory and horn trades around the world and those who are doing everything they can to stop it.
- Two new National Geographic series, The World According to Jeff Goldblum and The Magic of the Animal Kingdom, are being developed for the upcoming streaming service, Disney+.