2019 is a big year for the Walt Disney Company. Not only are they debuting a new land at their parks, they’re also celebrating several milestone anniversaries. One of these anniversaries belongs to Disney Theatrical. But that’s not all, in honor of its 25 years, Disney Theatrical is working on a revival of Beauty and the Beast.
- Broadway World is reporting that Disney Theatrical Productions plans to celebrate its 25th anniversary in a big way.
- Starting way back in 1994 with the Broadway production of Beauty and the Beast, Disney has since seen impressive success with their stage versions of classic films including:
- The Lion King
- Mary Poppins
- In honor of this anniversary, president and producer of Disney Theatrical, Thomas Schumacher announced a revival of the one that started it all, Beauty and the Beast.
- Schumacher, recently revealed to ABC’s Nightline the plans to revisit the classic stage production.
What he’s saying:
- Thomas Schumacher: "I'm not announcing location or time. But I am deep in it, so yeah, it's happening."
Original Broadway Cast:
- Terrence Mann as The Beast
- Susan Egan as Belle
- Kenny Raskin as LeFou
- Burke Moses as Gaston
- Tom Bosley as Maurice
- Heath Lamberts as Cogsworth
- Gary Beach as Lumière
- Stacey Logan as Babette
- Beth Fowler as Mrs. Potts
- Brian Press as Chip
- Eleanor Glockner as Madame de la Grande Bouche
More Disney anniversaries:
- The Lion King — This animated classic is turning 25. Fans can celebrate with new merchandise including plushes, Pop! Figures, and a special edition Monopoly game from Hasbro.
- Disney’s Hollywood Studios — Walt Disney World’s third gate is turning 30 years old. The official anniversary is May 1st and Disney has plenty of exciting plans for its big day including the premiere of a new projection show.
- The Little Mermaid — Another animated classic is celebrating 30 magical years. Earlier this year, Disney released the beloved film as part of its Signature Collection, Roxy Girl debuted a new capsule collection for kids, and BoxLunch introduced some fabulous merchandise.