According to Oh My Disney, production has officially begun on the new Disney+ original series, Diary of Female President. The series was announced this past January and is expected to launch sometime in 2020 as part of the “Year One” releases.
About Diary of a Female President:
- “The story follows Elena, a semi-dweeby, ultra-observant, and confident in herself Cuban-American girl in middle school, and her journey to become the future President of the United States. Told through the narration of her diary, Diary of a Female President shares the ups and downs of Elena’s life in this heartwarming, funny, and relatable series.”
- The series was written and created by Ilana Pena.
- Gina Rodriguez (Jane the Virgin) is executive producing through her production company I Can and I Will, along with CBS TV Studios.
- Rodriguez will guest star in the series as the adult version of Elena who is currently on the Presidential campaign trail.
What they’re saying:
- Gina Rodriguez: “I established my production company as a vehicle to tell stories for and by the underrepresented. Bringing this story to Disney+ is a dream come true not to mention hope for our future.”
- David Stapf, president at CBS Television Studios: “Diary of a Female President may currently be a fictional tale, but one day soon this hopeful, inclusive and aspirational story will become a reality.”
Diary of a Female President stars:
- Tess Romero (Blind Spot, Alternatino) as Elena
- Charlie Bushnell as her older brother
- Selenis Leyva (Orange is the New Black, Maniac) as their loving mom, Gabi
- Michael Weaver (Here and Now, Notes from the Underbelly) as Sam, a lawyer at Gabi’s firm who is in the beginnings of a relationship with her
- Executive producers:
- Gina Rodriguez
- Emily Gipson (Someone Great)
- Ilana Pena (Crazy Ex-Girlfriend)
- Robin Shorr (The Carmichael Show)
Disney+ launches in the U.S. on November 12, 2019.