Earlier today, we got a closer look at some new handcrafted mosaics being installed at Disney’s Riviera Resort thanks to the Disney Parks Blog.
- The Disney Parks Blog shared another look at the second handcrafted mosaic on display at Disney’s Riviera Resort.
- In addition to the Peter Pan mural, Imagineers designed another mosaic inspired by a Disney animated classic, Tangled.
- This lovely picture on showcases the beautiful floating lantern scene from the 2010 film.
- Artistry, inspiration and imagination are everywhere to be found at Disney’s Riviera Resort, the newest upcoming Walt Disney World Resort and Disney Vacation Club property. Today, we were given a first look at a fantastic piece of art being installed at the resort.
- A walkway tunnel at Disney’s Riviera Resort will feature two stunning mosaic murals showcasing Disney storytelling of European tales.
- The original stories that inspired these murals were included in the collection of over 300 books that Walt Disney sent back to his studios while traveling Europe in the 1930s. The use of mosaics for the murals celebrates the beauty of the art style, materials and craftsmanship.
- Both mosaic murals will be massive installations, recessed into the tunnel walls and spanning across the arched ceiling.
- Each of the two pieces will feature a unique story set along the tunnel wall and will be joined at the top by a shared mosaic sky, rising 20 feet in the air.
- The mural we see in the photos shows a magical scene of London at night, with Peter Pan, Wendy, Michael and John flying off to Neverland, with over 500,000 hand-cut tiles laid by hand to create the amazing piece of art.
- The mosaics will be quite complementary to the numerous other pieces of European-inspired art being created for the resort.
- Right now, we’re only seeing the first of two stories to be depicted in these wonderful murals, but we’re very excited to see the next one!
- We’ll get to see that second mosaic when Disney’s Riviera Resort is projected to open on December 16, 2019.