Disney+ is reportedly developing a live-action feature film about NBA star Giannis “Greek Freak” Antetokounmpo.
- Disney+ is developing a new feature film about NBA superstar, Giannis Antetokounmpo of the Milwaukee Bucks.
- According to Deadline, the project, currently titled Greek Freak, will focus on Antetokounmpo’s upbringing through his basketball career.
- Bernie Goldman is reportedly attached to produce the live-action film for the streamer.
- Greek Freak’s script will come from writer Arash Amel who penned A Private War.
About Giannis Antetokounmpo:
- Antetokounmpo was born in Athens, Greece and is the son of Nigerian immigrants. Interestingly, due to Greek laws, he did not receive his full Greek citizenship until he was 18 years old.
- His basketball career started in the Greek leagues, before he joined a Spanish team.
- In 2013, he was chosen as a first-round pick in the NBA Draft and found a home with the Milwaukee Bucks.
- Antetokounmpo was awarded as Most Improved Player in 2017, and this past summer was named MVP by the NBA.
- Nicknamed “Greek Freak” for his size and basketball handling skills.
- The studio executive has many film credits to his name including:
- Relativity’s Snow White
- Fool’s Gold
- Taking Lives
- Land of the Dead
- Antetokounmpo isn’t the only sports star to become the subject of a live-action film for Disney+. The streamer has also announced a project titled Safety about Clemson safety, Ray McElrathbey.
- In other basketball news, the LeBron James produced docuseries, Becoming is currently in development for the streaming service. The first of 10 episodes will focus on James, before following the rise of other celebrities from their upbringing to where they are today.